IH 424 question

/ IH 424 question #1  

irwin

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota L35TLB, '89' Cub Cadet 1541
Okay, I'm getting a little foolish in my old age.

A 1966 IH 424 with a gas engine, has a real heavy duty looking loader on it, with float.
Needs a waterpump, (and maybe a thousand other things,) but appears to be pretty solid, didn't want to run it long because the w/p shaft is flopping a bit and could gouge the radiator if we run it much. Oh yeah it also has new-ish rear ag tires on it.

Will need to do a tune-up , a waterpump, and get front tires (I run a garage and can get used LT tires for it easy.)

I'm seriously considering buying this, I've been looking for a heavier tractor to pull logs and run a bigger boxblade, plus I want to leave the backhoe on the Deere 770.

What does anyone know about this tractor? Does this gas engine hold up?, how about the trans, or the 3PH, the hyaulic pump..?

I know it's old but it sure looks like it has possibilities.

Thanks for any information..:)

/ IH 424 question #2  
Tim, that was one of my favorite tractors when I was learning to drive them. The parts for the most part are all available but I didn't check with our parts guys. The grille, now that is a hard part to get as when I built my diesel about 25 years ago there weren't to many to be found. They are a basic tractor and I think you will enjoy it! I had two sets of rear weights and about 200lbs on the nose and it would pull three sixteen inch bottoms with no trouble. Two bottoms and it really just played with it!

I think you will enjoy it!

/ IH 424 question #3  
Tim,
I have a 424 diesel that I used to rake hay with as a kid. My brothers used it on our farm for blowing corn silage into a fifty foot silo. It was run at full throttle all the time for this purpose and for many years. It was used over the years for other routine agricultural chores on a less demanding basis. It was NEVER babied during it's history on the farm. Presently I use it for brushhogging with a MX6 rotary cutter. It will chop up hay as high as or higher than the hood without any problems such as overheating. The clutch, transmission and rear end are all original and without any problems except for the brakes which tend to glaze and aren't as effective. The engine is original and hasn't been rebuilt. Don't know how many hours are on it since the tack broke years ago. I do need to replace the glow plugs however. The top of the radiator has cracked and has been repaired.... unable to find a new one of these. This engine may be British built, so parts may become a problem for me. I'd recommend talking to a CNH dealer and ask about parts availability for your potential new (old) purchase. It's been a TOUGH little ag-tractor!

/ IH 424 question
Update:

I did buy that tractor last March, it's really a 2424. I did a little work on it but have way too many projects going. Case in point; that Deere 770 I mentioned in the first post has been sold and I now have a 2004 Kubota L35 TLB. I sold the 770 with the promise to myself I'd get this IH working and put a 7 foot box blade on the back, that'll free up the Kubota for digging and grapple work.

So far ran cylinder compression test, 125 to 155 psi, full tune-up, carb overhaul (that thing was full of crud!) changed all the coolant hoses, flushed the coolant system, flushed the fuel system, replaced the one bad hydraulic hose. Replaced both front tires, the rears are 90+%. The next thing is to move it and remove the loader so I can clean it up a little.

I'm also cleaning up a Deere 110 garden tractor I picked up last fall.. No time for anymore projects (for a while).

/ IH 424 question #5  
Irwin-
I've had my 2424 for seven years in northern MN. It gets used for logging and
lots of dirt work and seems to be holding up well. No mechanical problems yet.
I am looking for a grille (424 is the same) and side covers for it, so if you find a treasure chest,
please let me know! Good Luck! Mike

/ IH 424 question
Irwin-
I've had my 2424 for seven years in northern MN. It gets used for logging and
lots of dirt work and seems to be holding up well. No mechanical problems yet.
I am looking for a grille (424 is the same) and side covers for it, so if you find a treasure chest,
please let me know! Good Luck! Mike

Hi Mike, good to know someone else still puts these tractors to the test regularly... mine runs strong...brakes work but not great.

Haven't taken the loader off yet, maybe next spring/summer I'll clean it up..sandblast and hit it with some paint..

BTW welcome to TBN, ..keep posting..

/ IH 424 question #7  
I'm planning a similar attack....after next summer's work season is over, I'll
trailer it down to my shop in Mpls. and give it a little "love".
It will get all new wiring, hydraulic lines, tach cable, blast and paint.
You're not alone with the lousy brakes. It's the nature of these Industrials.
I also have a 3444 that has the same poor brakes.

/ IH 424 question #8  
Hi folks. Brand new here. Just signed on because I'm searching for help w/ a '71 Int 3444 that was given me. No brakes on mine either, needs hydraulic pump [only because shaft is stripped and keeps breaking the pins i put thru it], etc...looking for some direction and parts availabilty. I should start my own thread so as not to hijack this one.
Not liking the thought that 3444's have lousy brakes, tho!! Not fixable? Thanks.

/ IH 424 question #9  
I have a complete set of IH Repair/shop manuals in excellent condition for the IH 424/2424 if anybody is interested let me know and I will provide further details.

/ IH 424 question #10  
I have a complete set of IH Repair/shop manuals in excellent condition for the IH 424/2424 if anybody is interested let me know and I will provide further details.

I just bought an IH 2424 Lo-Boy and I may be interested in those shop manuals. Please send me the details if you don't mind. Thanks!