Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245 #1  

rimshot

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2510 HST
I'm helping a friend value estate property and one of the items is a 1990 Case/International Harvestor tractor model 245 and 5 foot mid belly mower. Hour meter does not work but the tractor was used for mowing a large yard only. It's a three cylinder diesel, 21 h.p. that runs fine however the last time it was used the driver somehow knocked a hole in the oil pan.

The tractor is basically in very good shape other than the damaged oil pan and has for it's entire existence been stored inside a barn well protected. That's about all I can say regarding the unit. Can anybody help me out with a value range or where one could turn.

An operating and repair manual goes with the tractor.

Thank you

rimshot

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245 #2  
We sold one IH 244 for $4200. This is the same tractor just a touch older. (They switched it to the 245 for Case buy out.)

The tractor had following:
* 5' foot finish mower
* Rear blade
* Great Condition
* ~450 hours

Obviously you would need to factor in the oil pan and hour meter.

I hope this helps. You may also want to web search to find similar values.

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245 #3  
Tractorhouse.com has the same model and year for sale for $7,500. You might might to look at the ad.

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245
Thanks to froggy and Green_Center for looking into this matter. I think this tractor will clean up real well and provided an oil pan can still be obtained it will make someone a fine piece of equipment.

rimshot

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245 #5  
If you do not fix the oil pan and make it operable, then it's not going to bring very much money on somebodies word alone that it runs fine. The oil pan isn't an expensive or dificult repair, so there's no reason not to fix it for top dollar.

If I look at a machine that the owner can't or won't start, then I'm either going to buy it as scrap, or walk away.

Eddie

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245 #6  
I agree 100% with Eddie. The cost of repairing a small hole in an oil pan is tiny compared to the loss in value. Even if you had to pay to have it hauled to the dealer and repaired, it will be less than the several thousand in value lost when the tractor sells as scrap. Unless somebody knew all the details of the tractor, they will surely not take a chance on an as-is purchase.

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245
EddieWalker said:
If you do not fix the oil pan and make it operable, then it's not going to bring very much money on somebodies word alone that it runs fine. The oil pan isn't an expensive or dificult repair, so there's no reason not to fix it for top dollar.

If I look at a machine that the owner can't or won't start, then I'm either going to buy it as scrap, or walk away.

Eddie
==============

Fair enough, we will seek out an new oil pan and if we are able to make the repairs,all the better. If it means pulling the engine it can always go to a dealer or good mechanic. Thanks for checkiing in.

rimshot

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245 #8  
I paid $5800 for mine in 1997 with 500 or so hours. Has turf tires and 61MB MMM. They are worth $2000 trade in and around $4000 to $6000 retail. You may be able to look up the pan on CIH parts. Do not destroy the engine....it costs over $10,000 at CIH :eek:

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245 #9  
The oil pan should not be much trouble for a decent welding shop to fix. I had to have mine worked on when I tried to change oil the first time. Plug was tight and I noticed oil seeping around the outside of where the threads were brazed in. Took the pan off and took it to a rural shop that usually did welding on farm equipment. If repair is not an option, this engine should be a K3D Mitsubishi. You can get parts from Valley Power or TractorByNet.com | John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, and more!.

/ Help us value this tractor Case/IH model 245 #10  
I paid $5800 for mine in 1997 with 500 or so hours. Has turf tires and 61MB MMM. They are worth $2000 trade in and around $4000 to $6000 retail. You may be able to look up the pan on CIH parts. Do not destroy the engine....it costs over $10,000 at CIH :eek:

I'm not sure how this works but I came across this old post while searching for information on the Case 245 tractor. I found one for sale with a loader, brush hog amd boxblade. He's asking $6K for it. But more important since you have/had one do you think it would be able to move a round bale of hay? I have only 3 horses and need to move the round bales from 25 ft to 150 ft depending on where they need to go. Do you think this little tractor can pick one up enough to get the job done?
Thank you for your time,
Sam