Case IH 275 cooling question

/ Case IH 275 cooling question #1  

Steven Jencso

I have a Case IH 275 30 HP diesel engine. After running it for 5 to 10 minutes coolant starts coming out of the top of the overflow tank. I have replaced the radiator cap with a 7 lb cap. Could it have a stuck thermostat? Any help would be appreciated.

/ Case IH 275 cooling question #2  
Steven Jencso said:
I have a Case IH 275 30 HP diesel engine. After running it for 5 to 10 minutes coolant starts coming out of the top of the overflow tank. I have replaced the radiator cap with a 7 lb cap. Could it have a stuck thermostat? Any help would be appreciated.

I am by no means an expert but my first guess is a good chance it doesn't have a thermostat. I would also suspect the radiator needs a good cleaning....very common problem on older tractors (I was topping off my fluids last week and noticed mine was looking a little crusty). A radiator shop can rod it out and clean/dip it for you ( maybe $50 or so?).
You may also want to do a search on this site and see if you can find similar posts and solutions.

Good luck,

/ Case IH 275 cooling question
Hi
Thanks Darryl
last fall I had the radiator out and to a shop were it was cleaned and a crack repaired. I had the thermostat out this weekend and it opened when boiled. I am going to try a 18 lbs radiator cap. this is what the speck sheet called for, but the radiator repair shop said to go with a 7 lb cap.
The dealer said it might be a blown head gasket.But 2 people
Have told me if the head gasket was blown the tractor would not run as it is a diesel.
Thanks again
Steve

/ Case IH 275 cooling question #4  
Hello. It could be a head gasket. If the gasket is broken in the coolant area the engine would run but would pressurise the cooling system. It could also be a crack in the block etc. I would do a cooling system pressure test. Pressurise the system to 15 PSI and ensure the pressure remains the same. What can be happenning is some of the combustion pressure is getting into the cooling system thus causing excessive coolant pressure. Sometimes this only happens after reaching opperating temperature in the case of a crack for example. If you remove the thermostast the coolant temperature should be lower. Just a thought. Regards Serge

/ Case IH 275 cooling question #5  
doodlesone said:
Hello. It could be a head gasket. If the gasket is broken in the coolant area the engine would run but would pressurise the cooling system. It could also be a crack in the block etc. I would do a cooling system pressure test. Pressurise the system to 15 PSI and ensure the pressure remains the same. What can be happenning is some of the combustion pressure is getting into the cooling system thus causing excessive coolant pressure. Sometimes this only happens after reaching opperating temperature in the case of a crack for example. If you remove the thermostast the coolant temperature should be lower. Just a thought. Regards Serge

Good job Serge!

/ Case IH 275 cooling question
Steven Jencso said:

An update
Last weekend I pulled the thermostat again It was open.
I went to NAPA and got a replacement Thermostat and a 13 pound radiator cap. Presto all is well comes up to 1/2 gauge and stays there. and the antifreeze dose not boil out.
Thanks for your help. Steve