JXU or Farmall U, what are they like?

/ JXU or Farmall U, what are they like? #1  

EhM8

Bronze Member
It is quite easy to find reviews on cars, but when it comes to tractors, they are really hard to find. The JXU seems alright on specs, but our local dealer doesn't seem to be stocking or trying to sell them. One reason in our area I think is that for a smaller sized utility tractor the JX is cheaper, and once you get upto the 100hp it isn't much dearer to buy the Maxxum. I am looking at some point in the future upgrading from my JX60 rops to a 80hp cabbed tractor suitable for a three point linkage boomspray and pulling a pasture drill, and a bit of loader work. The competition in this category are the John Deere 5020s(German), 5025s, 6030s, and the Massey Ferguson 5400 series. I was just wondering what is the JXU like in comparison, whether there are other reasons other than model overlap that my local dealer mightn't be pushing them. From what I have found on the web, the perkins motor in the MF edges out the Iveco in the JXU on fuel efficiency, but the 80hp JXU is naturally aspirated compared to turbo charged on the 5435. Note, that I am Australian, so model numbers mightn't be exactly the same in the States - the JXU I believe is the same.

/ JXU or Farmall U, what are they like? #2  
The JXU here is basically a Red New Holland TL-A and the TL line has a great reputation back to when it was the 35 series. I know the Case-IH dealers here seem to push the basic JX and I think that is because it is an easy tractor to sell where as the JXU has more bells and whistles that drives the cost up and most people do not need these features.

/ JXU or Farmall U, what are they like?
The main thing that would make me look at the JXU over the equivalent JX is that the JXU has the wet clutch. I can live with the mechanical shuttle and synch. transmission, but those times when you are doing a bit of loader work, you do keep in mind that it is harder on the dry clutch. I think you could probably afford clutch replacement considering that the JX is ten grand cheaper.

The JXU would be a nice size and weight for me. With a three point linkage counterweight and bulk bag handler that stops the bag swinging, I can lift 1 tonne bulk quite easily with my JX60, but the extra weight and bigger tyres on the JXU would make it more suitable. The John Deere 5025 series I think is a little bit light for my needs.

Interestingly, they have revised the engine in the JXU in making it into the Farmall U - the JX70U, I think is now 76hp or something and at lower rpm... it amazes me that they can do that without redesigning the whole engine!

Robert_in_NY said:
The JXU here is basically a Red New Holland TL-A and the TL line has a great reputation back to when it was the 35 series. I know the Case-IH dealers here seem to push the basic JX and I think that is because it is an easy tractor to sell where as the JXU has more bells and whistles that drives the cost up and most people do not need these features.

/ JXU or Farmall U, what are they like? #4  
I second the wet clutch advantage of the JXU (Farmall U) over the JX. Wet clutch will last longer. With wet clutch, you can also get the power reverser on the column and no clutching needed like the mechanical shifter of the JX. You can also get the optional 2 speed powershift transmission which is nice for increasing or decreasing speed under load without shifting. The JXU also has variable flow control for the rear hydraulics if needed.

/ JXU or Farmall U, what are they like?
I have a 9'6" tyne drill that I can pull with the 60hp. The 60 handles it, but when you change direction and head up hill, it struggles in the gear where it would pull quite well on the flat, so you have to use a lower gear all round - powershift would be very handy in those situations, but an 80hp tractor is probably going to have enough torque to over-come that anyway. You never know though, I initially bought the 60 just to push feed around, and when the dealer told me it would handle the tyne drill, I thought I'd experiment. So you never know what other jobs I might decide on if I had an 80 - it might depend on how much extra cost the powershift is.

radman1 said:
I second the wet clutch advantage of the JXU (Farmall U) over the JX. Wet clutch will last longer. With wet clutch, you can also get the power reverser on the column and no clutching needed like the mechanical shifter of the JX. You can also get the optional 2 speed powershift transmission which is nice for increasing or decreasing speed under load without shifting. The JXU also has variable flow control for the rear hydraulics if needed.