My first tractor, 1961 IH B414

/ My first tractor, 1961 IH B414 #1  

TheIglu

Bronze Member
Tractor
1962 IH B414 Diesel, 2008 Kubota B2620
Here she is!

iPhone019.jpg

3000 original hours, bucket loader and nothing else!

40hp Diesel, runs like a champs. Needs some tires soon and possibly rear rims (calcium is leaking a bit).

/ My first tractor, 1961 IH B414 #2  
Low hours for sure. Does it have all the 3 point hitch parts? You'll find the tractor very useful with that loader.

/ My first tractor, 1961 IH B414
JSharp said:
Low hours for sure. Does it have all the 3 point hitch parts? You'll find the tractor very useful with that loader.

It has the lower arms, a somewhat disfigured toplink (repaired) and the links that go from the lifting arms to the lower arms (not sure what they are referred to as).

The hitch works well, though a little slow in cold cold weather. I keep half a 55 gallon drum cement block back there for counterweight when I mount the 10ft plow to the front of the snow bucket.

Anyone have any luck using a box-blade with one of these bad boys?

She runs like a top, barely sips diesel and is plenty strong. The ram assist steering makes running it a breeze. She needs brakes, but they are on order from SSB tractor currently (sent me the wrong ones, just need to tell them the size of the originals).

/ My first tractor, 1961 IH B414 #4  
You might change the hydraulic fluid plus the filter. That may fix your slow hitch and you'll know what in the system. I'm still trying to get all of the water out of the system on my 404. The previous owners weren't much for maintenance. :rolleyes:

That tractor should be good with a 6' box blade or a 7' open rear blade. It's a mid 30's HP machine and heavy compared to most modern 35HP tractors.

If you have questions that don't get answered here there are 2 other boards that might be more helpful -

Yesterday's Tractors :: Index

and

Red Power Magazine Community (Powered by Invision Power Board)

This is a great board no doubt, but there are more folks dealing with the older tractors on the two I listed...

Thanks for the info! I'll check those boards out.

6' box blade?

:D

The fun part of having all this horsepower is getting her sideways around the bend of the driveway in 3rd gear, high range with the big bucket and 10ft plow up front and the chains clawing at the 4" thick solid ice driveway. Only way I can make it up the hill in the winter with that big plow on there!

That box blade will sure do me wonders. 500' of driveway in New England tends to get a bit rough with no stone or asphalt. There is a Tractor Supply opening up in Nashua NH shortly. I think I owe myself a nice wedding present.....

I hear you on the hydrolic filter. I'm pretty sure that was the culprit. The fluid itself isn't bad or dirty but it's been a few years since it's been changed.

/ My first tractor, 1961 IH B414 #6  
TheIglu said:
Thanks for the info! I'll check those boards out.

6' box blade?

:D

The fun part of having all this horsepower is getting her sideways around the bend of the driveway in 3rd gear, high range with the big bucket and 10ft plow up front and the chains clawing at the 4" thick solid ice driveway. Only way I can make it up the hill in the winter with that big plow on there!

That box blade will sure do me wonders. 500' of driveway in New England tends to get a bit rough with no stone or asphalt. There is a Tractor Supply opening up in Nashua NH shortly. I think I owe myself a nice wedding present.....

I hear you on the hydrolic filter. I'm pretty sure that was the culprit. The fluid itself isn't bad or dirty but it's been a few years since it's been changed.

Tractor Supply in Nashua!? - Where did you hear about that?

I work in Nashua now - so that would be great news.

jim_wilson said:
Tractor Supply in Nashua!? - Where did you hear about that?

I work in Nashua now - so that would be great news.

I didn't hear about it, I saw it.

101A on the westbound side, they are building one. Signs are up and everything!

Was driving by last weekend and got quite the pleasant surprise.

/ My first tractor, 1961 IH B414 #8  
I just went down 101 the other day and didn't notice that. Is it the big building they are putting up right across from the Lowe's?

I had been hoping for a Tractor Supply that was close enough to make frequent trips to - that is excellent news.

jim_wilson said:
I just went down 101 the other day and didn't notice that. Is it the big building they are putting up right across from the Lowe's?

I had been hoping for a Tractor Supply that was close enough to make frequent trips to - that is excellent news.

It's in an existing plaza. Not sure the exact location, I'm not a very frequent visitor to Nashua. I'll do a little homework and let you know if I find anything.

TheIglu said:
It's in an existing plaza. Not sure the exact location, I'm not a very frequent visitor to Nashua. I'll do a little homework and let you know if I find anything.

Found it, Milford, not Nashua!

Found this on the internet:

"Milford, NH is located west of Nashua NH:
From Route 3 take exit 8 onto route 101A, unfortunately you'll be going through about 25 traffic lights!!! Go into the center of Milford, to the oval/rotary continue west about 1 more mile and the Tractor Supply will be at the second set of lights on your right. (Sals Pizza on your left)
From Keene take 101 straight into Milford after passing the 101 bypass the Tractor Supply Store will be about 1 1/2 miles on your left, first set of lights. (Sals Pizza on your right)

From 93 in Manchester NH take 101 W into Milford, get off on 101 A and head west, left at bottom. Go into the center of Milford, to the oval/rotary continue west about 1 more mile and the Tractor Supply will be at the second set of lights on your right. (Sals Pizza on your left) OR follow 101 past the 101A exit to where it takes a sharp left heading towards Wilton and Keene...instead TAKE A RIGHT (just past Market Basket) and head into Milford, the Tractor Supply Store will be about 1 1/2 miles on your left, first set of lights. (Sals Pizza on your right)

If coming from the Fitchburg area...head up Route 13 north, when you hit the oval/rotary in Milford (center of town) go around and continue onto 101A west continue west about 1 more mile and the Tractor Supply will be at the second set of lights on your right. (Sals Pizza on your left)"

There are job listings all over the net for it too, must be opening soon!