Hy Trans Ultra fluid substitute....OK?

/ Hy Trans Ultra fluid substitute....OK? #1  

agford4x4

Silver Member
Tractor
Case DX55
I noticed my front differential in my DX-55 is just about dry, i need to add some fluid. I do not have any and i sort of need it ASAP, so ordering isnt really an option. I have done some research and found that the MSDS on the Hy Trans Ultra says synonyms of the fluid are MS-1209. Now, at my local ag store, there is hydraulic fluid called Mystik JT-5, the spec sheet on the Mystik has a whole page of different manufacturers that it replaces, one of those being the Case Hy Tran Ultra MS1209 spec.

Is this safe to use? Its the lube that goes in the front axle, its 1.5qts. I will be topping it off, rather than replacing....is that safe? One oil i read said it met the specs, but NOT to top off, but replace instead. I have no idea why.

/ Hy Trans Ultra fluid substitute....OK? #2  
Hytran is one of the best hydraulic fluids on the market today for us in the north country. It will absorb a lot of moisture from our changing seasons! More then any other make of oil I've seen for hydraulic fluids and it is also a low weight so it gets the system filled fast when it's twenty below.

Now to answer your question, for on your front axle with no pumping system, being in Texas, I'd say for a quick fill go ahead with the generic oil. It will be fine to get you by as it is better to have the lube there then to run it dry!

/ Hy Trans Ultra fluid substitute....OK?
Good to know.

Of course, the ONE place that sells the oil has 3 in stock but cannot locate them. None of the case dealers can ship the hy tran oil. Dam....not sure what im going to do now.

/ Hy Trans Ultra fluid substitute....OK?
Turns out John Deere Hy-Gard Hydraulic/Transmission Oil meets the CaseIH Spec. So, ill be picking that up this evening. It will at least get me by.

/ Hy Trans Ultra fluid substitute....OK? #5  
how if use auto transmission fluid is it okay ....shell atf 3

/ Hy Trans Ultra fluid substitute....OK? #6  
There is no subsitute for hy-trans. It is the only 30 weight oil of its type. Use something else at you own risk. You could use the Amsoil systhetic version of hytrans, but it only comes in 55 gal. drums at about 20 a gallon.

/ Hy Trans Ultra fluid substitute....OK? #7  
There is no subsitute for hy-trans. It is the only 30 weight oil of its type. Use something else at you own risk. You could use the Amsoil systhetic version of hytrans, but it only comes in 55 gal. drums at about 20 a gallon.

Hytran Ultra is NOT a 30w oil. HyTran has always been formulated from 10W base stocks. Many other hydraulic/transmission/wet brake oils are 10w30 oils.