Case / Int 8420 baler ?

/ Case / Int 8420 baler ? #1  

steveky

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota/ L3010HST, BX 1800
Having problems getting my bale to start rolling. Does a great job other than that. Belts are pretty slick, got some ordered from the local dealer. Has anyone had any experience replacing the forming belts on this baler. Any tricks and or knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

/ Case / Int 8420 baler ? #2  
When installing new belts and the old ones are still on you can just undo the connectors and attach the new belts to the old to feed them through.

/ Case / Int 8420 baler ?
I went by the owners manual on the first on and it was a lot of starting the tractor and taking the tension off the belts, then spinning it a little bit, straightening the belts out then moving a little more. If you had two people working together it would have been a breeze. So I just took the tension off and fed the new belt through and pulled the old out. Went pretty quick that way. Put 4 on in about an hour, the last one is ready to hook up the new belt, but had to come to work...but it wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. Got a few pickup tines to replace and I'll be ready for some more baling. Sure hope the new belts will make it spin the hay better as the old ones where really wore out and slick.

Steve

/ Case / Int 8420 baler ? #4  
I've found that getting the first bale to start each time I bale can be a little tricky and troublesome, but once you get one going the rest are no problem. For that first one it's a question of getting enough hay fed into the chamber to push the hay against the belts, but not too much or the entry space into the chamber will plug up.

But even once you get going, if you're baling and the slightest bit of dew falls - it's all over! Mine just won't spin a bale with even the slightest amount of moisture on the hay. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing most of the time...

What kind of twine/tying system do you have on yours? If it the old manual twine arm (like mine) and you have trouble getting the knife to cut the string, I re-engineered mine so that it cuts first time, every time. Pretty simple - I can send you pictures...

/ Case / Int 8420 baler ?
I put new belts on mine and baled 37 bales a couple weeks ago and didn't have that first problem. I have the hydraulic tie system and did have a problem with the knife not opening up when the arm started moving to start the tie. I just added a couple washers and I think it will be fine. This is my first round baler and its sure a lot better than fighting that old wore out square baler I was trying to use. My bales are around 400 lbs with fescue, clover and orchard grass. They are no problem at all to move around with my little Kubota. I can roll them off my trailer with very little effort, work great for my small operation.

Steve

/ Case / Int 8420 baler ? #6  
BeeferMan, I would like to see the mods you did to get the twine knife to work better.

I've found that getting the first bale to start each time I bale can be a little tricky and troublesome, but once you get one going the rest are no problem. For that first one it's a question of getting enough hay fed into the chamber to push the hay against the belts, but not too much or the entry space into the chamber will plug up.

But even once you get going, if you're baling and the slightest bit of dew falls - it's all over! Mine just won't spin a bale with even the slightest amount of moisture on the hay. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing most of the time...

What kind of twine/tying system do you have on yours? If it the old manual twine arm (like mine) and you have trouble getting the knife to cut the string, I re-engineered mine so that it cuts first time, every time. Pretty simple - I can send you pictures...

/ Case / Int 8420 baler ? #7  
Hahaha... you do realize the original post was 10 years ago?
However, if your knife is sharp, there's a little guide that comes out from the left side (that's probably missing). That is likely your issue. I bent 1 out of a piece of aluminum, from an old tv tower... works like a charm.