Oil & Fuel DX-40 with hydraulic oil in the engine!

/ DX-40 with hydraulic oil in the engine! #1  

cpeters

Brush hogged for 4 hours yesterday and all was good but today I was taking my Case DX-40 to the barn and as I pulled in noticed an oil trail going into the barn.

Started looking around thinking I had a metal fluid line cracked...while looking I ran the engine up and it started spewing hydraulic fluid out of the crankcase breather hose from the top of the valve cover!!! Talking about filling an engine!

Obviously I immediately shut the darn thing down right then.

I would have to suspect some sort of seal in the hydraulic pump on the front of the engine let lose and is pumping hydraulic fluid into the crankcase. I guess the only positive thing is at least it is not water in the crankcase, so I would expect the engine will be fine after an oil and filter change.

Have any of you experienced this?

Pump rebuild? or new Pump? am I off base here.....guess I'll pull the pump this week.

GRRRRR.. Last summer I had to replace cracked oil cooler after puking fluid all over.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

By the way it has about 2800 hours on it.

Charlie

/ DX-40 with hydraulic oil in the engine! #2  
Hydraulic pump shaft seal is exactly what I'd look at.

/ DX-40 with hydraulic oil in the engine!
Pulled the pump this weekend and as suspected the front shaft seal is definitely broken, I pulled the rest of the pump apart and no wear at all looks brand new, although some of the gaskets between the pump end plates, sort of a figure 8 looking gaskets on the front and back plates seem to be a little ate up in places. The tractor 3 point would always leak down so maybe I have had a little issue for a while.

I know NH and Case so not show a gasket kit for the pump but I am going to replace them all hopefully. It is a KYB pump and I have the pump number. I found some places on line I will try to call that deal in pump gaskets and parts. If I can get the parts it should be a simple fix...otherwise I will try to cross the part number on just the front shaft seal.

Thanks for all of your help.

Charlie