Hydraulic pump gasket question for case DX-40

/ Hydraulic pump gasket question for case DX-40 #1  

cpeters

Has anyone replaced the gaskets in a case DX-40 hydraulic pump using the SBA340293698 seal kit from the dealership?

This is an early DX-40 3pt hydraulic pump (KYB).

On either side of the pump plate is a gasket looking like a figure 8. When I pulled the pump apart it just had the gasket.....the new improved kit has 4 teflon looking beveled pieces that appear to go on either before or after the gasket to maybe re-inforce the gasket, or maybe these help with a pump with a little bit of wear.

I put the pump back together what appears to be the obvious way and am just a little concerned that you cant turn the shaft with your fingers.

Also the 4 ends of the blocks that house the pump shaft bearings are labeled two with the number 4 and two with the letter E. On the side of the pump wih the shaft there is a number 4 so I am pretty sure that is where the 4 goes and with that all of the others can only go one way.

So I am looking for someone who in familiar with this particular pump.

Question 1.
Is my assumption about the numbered and lettered bearing blocks correct?

Question 2.
I am interested in the designed purpose of the nylon looking gasket supports for the figure 8 gaskets on each side. Is it to be used in all pumps or just special applications? I put the nylon pieces on then the gasket....it could go either way but I want to make sure of the designed way before I put the pump on the tractor.

Question 3.
How much effort should it take to turn that pump shaft. The shaft turns easily with 2 fingers until you tighten the end plates then you have to put something on it to turn it. It does not turn difficult it is just not as easy as I would expect...that concerns me. It takes 20 inch lbs to turn the shaft.

I am going to call Messick Power who I ordered the parts tomorrow....I tried today and was on hold for a while.

Thanks in advance.

By the way here is the link to my original issue with my tractor if you are interested.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/case-ih/123139-dx-40-hydraulic-oil-engine.html

Charlie

/ Hydraulic pump gasket question for case DX-40 #2  
I can only comment on question 3. Both of my hydraulic pumps, (the one I broke and the one that replaced it), turned freely by hand.

Did the kit include bearings?

Please keep us up on your progress and what Messick tell you. Best of luck.

Clay

/ Hydraulic pump gasket question for case DX-40 #3  
cpeters said:
Has anyone replaced the gaskets in a case DX-40 hydraulic pump using the SBA340293698 seal kit from the dealership?

This is an early DX-40 3pt hydraulic pump (KYB).

On either side of the pump plate is a gasket looking like a figure 8. When I pulled the pump apart it just had the gasket.....the new improved kit has 4 teflon looking beveled pieces that appear to go on either before or after the gasket to maybe re-inforce the gasket, or maybe these help with a pump with a little bit of wear.

I put the pump back together what appears to be the obvious way and am just a little concerned that you cant turn the shaft with your fingers.

Also the 4 ends of the blocks that house the pump shaft bearings are labeled two with the number 4 and two with the letter E. On the side of the pump wih the shaft there is a number 4 so I am pretty sure that is where the 4 goes and with that all of the others can only go one way.

So I am looking for someone who in familiar with this particular pump.

Question 1.
Is my assumption about the numbered and lettered bearing blocks correct?

Question 2.
I am interested in the designed purpose of the nylon looking gasket supports for the figure 8 gaskets on each side. Is it to be used in all pumps or just special applications? I put the nylon pieces on then the gasket....it could go either way but I want to make sure of the designed way before I put the pump on the tractor.

Question 3.
How much effort should it take to turn that pump shaft. The shaft turns easily with 2 fingers until you tighten the end plates then you have to put something on it to turn it. It does not turn difficult it is just not as easy as I would expect...that concerns me. It takes 20 inch lbs to turn the shaft.

I am going to call Messick Power who I ordered the parts tomorrow....I tried today and was on hold for a while.

Thanks in advance.

By the way here is the link to my original issue with my tractor if you are interested.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/case-ih/123139-dx-40-hydraulic-oil-engine.html

Charlie

Charlie,

did you take any pics of the pump disassembly? I have done the same repair with my Ford 1700 that listed a SBA# kit for overhaul. Although I replace the gaskets that came with the seal kit the problem as you found out was the shaft seal that dried out and allowed air entry and pump cavitation. I'll post the link to the thread I opened when I had the problem go to the second page and look at the pics, I bit your pump lookes pretty close to what I had. the purpose of the rubber seal either in fig 8 of what I have is to dam up oil from the discharge port to intake port to lube the friction bearing that is part of the bushing. In other ward is a flow bypass (metered) to keep the pump from dead heading and lubing the bearing. In my pump design there is no safety relief valve right at the pump.On most commercial gear pump for fuel and other hyd fluid there is actually a spring loaded relief valve. I was very careful when I took the things apart, the tolerances are very tight between the bushing (4) and the two gears/shaft , one driving and one driven. if you mismatch the bushing it will be tight to turn. I put a marking on the bushing with my dremmel tool so I would not mix their orientation. the gears have to be perfectly clean and well lubricated before you put them together. You do have a friction bearing on the inner dia of the bushing that's very soft and damage to that and the pump is toast. I was able to turn the pump shaft freely with a bit of normal resistance. have you mounted the pump yet? By the way the nylon is like a backbone to support the rubber as pictured on my pump as well.

JC,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-owning-operating/90819-my-f-1700-testing-my.html

Last edited: