Oil & Fuel checking gear box oil on David Brown 1210

/ checking gear box oil on David Brown 1210 #1  

colinrj

HI CAN YOU HELP I HAVE A DAVIID BROWN 1210 AND IT IS MY FIRST TRACTOR I HAVE DONE A SERVICE ON IT BUT I CANT FIND A SERVICE MANUAL TO HELP SO I CANT TELL IF I AM PUTTING IN TO MUCH OIL IN THE GEAR BOX OR WHAT OIL TO USE I HAVE FOUND A GLASS ON THE SIDE OF THE GEAR BOX WITH A RED DOT IN THE MIDDLE AND THE OIL IS HALF WAY UP THE GLASS I TAKE IT THAT MEANS IT IS HALF FULL HOPE SOME ONE CAN HELP WITH ANY INFO ON THIS OR ANY THING ELSE I SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR THANKS COLIN :)

/ checking gear box oil on David Brown 1210 #2  
please turn off the caps lock. Some people in internet land think that means you are yelling at them. I couldn't care less but that's how it is.

You are right about the sight glass. I can't remember what oil goes in the gear box though. I think there were two reservoirs but I can't remember that specific model that good. It's been nearly 10 years since I worked on any of them. I remember those to be nice tractors though until you have to do a clutch in it. We had IT service manuals in our shop for those. I'm pretty sure that company is still making them and I know you can find one on EBAY probably if you ever shop there.

One thing I remember about that tractor is when you drain the gears, let it drain a couple hours, then when you refill it run it around the yard a few minutes and then check the level again. The oil is slow getting past the inner axle bearings. We had a lot of that model tractor in the area of my dealer running around on steel wheels and I did a LOT of clutches and axle bearings! Also 30 wt oil is what out boss always told us to use in the power steering on them. He worked at the dealer since case was selling steamers. I worked on a lot of them at that dealer myself since I was a steam engineer in the navy. I miss that job.

Here is a link to the manual you need at TSC: Tractor Supply Company - JI Case and David Brown I&T Shop Service Manual C-203