IH 584 stuck in high range

/ IH 584 stuck in high range #1  

littlejohnr73

My dad was using the 584 and put it in high range to drive to one of the backfields and now it's "stuck" in high range, and I can't get it out. I've had it happen one other time, and just letting it sit for a day fixed it last time. I've been messing with it for a week now and cannot get it out. Does any one know what would cause this and how to fix it? The gearshift moves some, but it does not disengage:confused:
Thanks
John

/ IH 584 stuck in high range #2  
My 3011 has it too, once i put it in low gear i cant get it out, unless i unscrew the bolt that holds the gear in place (the click you hear when it shifts) On a Zetor there are hollow bolts with a spring inside and a ball underneath. The ball is pushed into a groove in the shifter rod. Mine needs a new bolt because the ball tends to get stuck in it.

I think case has the spring loaded balls built into the transmission housing, making it 10 times as much work to get to it... Ask an IHC guy about it for more details, ive never wrenched on them....

/ IH 584 stuck in high range #3  
Our 584 used to get stuck in low, under the tractor there are two rails that slide next to each other and connect to the shift fork shafts. There is a ball between the rails so you can't put it in the wrong gear combinations (high-range reverse?) The ball will jam the rails sometimes. We used to tap the pair of shift rails with a hammer and they would jump the ball back into place.