It's finally here! Case DX40

/ It's finally here! Case DX40 #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
Got it on Thursday afternoon. My wife took a few pictures before it got dirty, she is so proud of it, she put it on her screen saver at work.
I ordered a rear blade from a different dealer. Just so happened he delivered it the same evening the tractor arrived. The blade is a bush hog, 7 foot was supposed to be yellow. He didn't have any in stock so he got one from another dealer. Turned out to be a red one so now it matches the tractor.
I played with the loader and blade on Friday afternoon. I never used one of the new loaders before. It sure beats the old trip bucket loader I had on my Ford 3600 tractor. Still getting used to the hydro, but it worked well for loader work.
2008CaseInternationalTractor001.jpg

2008CaseInternationalTractor002.jpg

/ It's finally here! Case DX40 #2  
REALLY nice looking tractor....resell red! hahaha

actually, i think i like the red case tractors better than NH's blue....

congrats, thanks for the pics!

edit: is that a light on the rops? any close up pics?

/ It's finally here! Case DX40
Here are some pictures of the rear work light the dealer installed. It is wired into the rear lights so when the lights are turned on the rear light comes on. There is a rocker switch on the back of the work light so you can turn it off and still have the headlights on. It looks like they just drilled a hole in the plastic light housing and ran the wire loom through it. It is a nice tight fit should be waterproof. The light is not speckled in the back, I don't know why it shows up that way. Maybe because it has a rough finish the flash reflected off it.

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1300.jpg

/ It's finally here! Case DX40 #4  
Pretty, pretty! Is that the new HD bucket or is it standard duty?

I believe it is the standard duty, the dealer never mentioned a heavy duty one.How would I tell?

/ It's finally here! Case DX40 #6  
I believe it is the standard duty, the dealer never mentioned a heavy duty one.How would I tell?

Is the loader bucket a quick-attach bucket? I couldn't tell for sure in the first picture. I think all quick-attach buckets are heavy duty. The pin-on buckets come in HD and STD. The way to easily tell is that the HD buckets have holes along the front cutting edge so you can bolt on a solid cutter bar. That may have changed since Case and NH got a new manufacturer for their buckets, but I don't think so. The new buckets do look very different from the original buckets on the 16LA/LX116 loaders. Here are a couple of attachments to show the features of the old pin-on style HD buckets.

Attachments

• 16LAHDBucket.jpg
    16LAHDBucket.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 367
  • CutterBar.jpg
    CutterBar.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 346
  • 16LABucket.jpg
    16LABucket.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 229
Jim the bucket is a quick attach. It does not have holes drilled for a replacement cutting edge, dealer told me they sell a replacement cutting edge for it, but you use the replacement for a template and drill the holes then. It does have the reinforcement strips on the bottom. The inside of the bucket is more rounded than the one you show. The top edge is a boxed design, it looks like yours is rounded. Yours looks heavy duty, looks like you used it a lot and it stood up well.

JJ

/ It's finally here! Case DX40 #8  
Jimmy Joe,
Your bucket is the HD model. The easiest way to tell is by the reinforced sides. The standard bucket has short bars and the HD bucket has the bars that extend to the top of the bucket.
If you plan to add a cutting edge to your bucket, I think the holes are dilled through the welded on edge already, but not all the way through the skin of the bucket. Look at the underside of your edge to tell for sure. Mine is that way. That makes it easy to add a OEM edge by drilling through the thin bucket to complete the holes.
I like the pins and cables on your ROPS. They are a better design than mine, and will be easier to use.
Nice looking tractor!

/ It's finally here! Case DX40 #9  
Jim the bucket is a quick attach. It does not have holes drilled for a replacement cutting edge, dealer told me they sell a replacement cutting edge for it, but you use the replacement for a template and drill the holes then. It does have the reinforcement strips on the bottom. The inside of the bucket is more rounded than the one you show. The top edge is a boxed design, it looks like yours is rounded. Yours looks heavy duty, looks like you used it a lot and it stood up well.

JJ, I've definitely used my bucket a bunch. The only thing I've ever had go wrong with my bucket is that the welds on the inside back of the bucket cracked. Where yours is a rounded piece of steel in the back, mine has a flat portion with two welds running the width of the bucket. I had to reweld both of those where they cracked. It may have been from flexing while using chain-on bucket forks. That's the thing that I think put the most stress on the bucket's structure.

I've since converted the pin-on bucket to a quick-attach design by using a Unihitch adapter. All my FEL attachments including a new 5' bucket are quick-attach.

BTW: Even though I have done some really hard work with my buckets including digging/pushing trees and rocks, I have never bent any part of my buckets. I've seen one TC45D at my dealer's shop that had a HD bucket all bent on the bottom, sides, and top. I just can't imagine what that fellow did with his tractor to abuse that bucket so much. It was completely destroyed, but the rest of the tractor looked okay.

Jim what is that red hitch pin in the side of your bucket for? Does it have something to do with removing the bucket. I really like the loader set up on this tractor, the dealer sells both IH and Kubota he pointed out the cam lock pins for putting on the loader, said he wished Kubota had that system.
I will look tomorrow if the cutting edge has the holes underneath. With the weather cooling off I'll be wishing for a cab soon.

JJ