1951 H

/ 1951 H #1  

MikeF

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3039R cab
Well I finally found a nice 51 H, and want to make it like new which wont be hard because it is in great shape. It does need a few things though and I was wondering where the best place to buy parts was. Also it is 6V and I wanted an opinion on converting to 12V, my concern is that the conversion will hurt the value as this machine is all original.

thanks

Mike

/ 1951 H #2  
If you bought it to work and not to resell, I wouldn't worry about resale value when converting to 12V. I converted a D14 Allis-Chalmers to 12V and never regretted it, even though I sold it years later without converting it back. In fact, it sold to the dealer's nephew, who takes it to the antique shows.

/ 1951 H #3  
If you want it original looking have the generator converted to 12V. You will also need to change the voltage regulator, light bulbs, and coil. I did it on my Super H and looks and works fine. The only way anyone knows it has been changed is they hear the starter turn the motor over faster at startup.

/ 1951 H #4  
I have spent more than an hour or two sitting on one of those.

If the tractor starts easily why change?:D

/ 1951 H #5  
If the tractor starts and the 6V system works the 650CCA 6V battery TSC sells will do just fine. had no problems starting a 54 super M at -10F