Old Case garden tractor

/ Old Case garden tractor #1  

paul H

Howdy, Ive havent been on this forum in a long time(so long in fact I cant get signed in under my old user name)...anyways, Ive been trying to get my dad's old Case garden tractor going for a little bit now. Its a Case 220. I had to replace some wires behind the ignition switch due to mice damage. Ive also replaced the ignition switch and the battery. The only way I can get it started is to jump the starter solenoid. The key is inoperable except to turn the tractor off once its started. Where do think Ive gone wrong? Put some of the wires on the wrong posts on the ignition switch? Any help is apprecaited....

Thanks.

Paul

/ Old Case garden tractor #2  
   / Old Case garden tractor #3  
Morning Paul, Sounds like you have a wire in the wrong spot. When the key is in the on position it sounds like you have the voltage to the coil because it runs after you jump the solenoid...and it shuts off properly.

But it seems you don't have the voltage wired correctly to the start position from the switch to the starters energize terminal... When you have the key turned to the start position it should send the voltage to the starters energize terminal (until you release it)....

You will probably need a volt-ohm meter to help you find the right terminal to send the voltage to the starter.... that should do it.

Good Luck!! :)