DX40

/ DX40 #1  

klm

Silver Member
Tractor
Allis D17 CIH D40, JD5310, Massimo MS50010
Hey Jimmy Joe hows that new DX40 working out, any issues? I'm still looking for the right deal to update my D40.

/ DX40 #2  
Sorry to say I've put very few hours on it so far, pushed out a few old stumps and did some driveway work with it. Still getting used to the hydro, always pushing on the pedal for more power when I should be letting off. I really like the loader, visibility is great and the hydraulic speed of the loader is good. I have used the loader to load some things in my truck that I would normally have to wait until I had extra help around to help. I can see the loader will have many tasks. Most of the jobs I have planned for it will be next spring and summer. We are supposed to get up to three inches of snow tonight, so maybe I will get to plow snow soon. Thanks for the inquiry. Did you see the 8n remake on the New Holland site? Cool.
JJ

PS Only problem so far was an oil drip on a transmission line caused by a loose hose clamp.

/ DX40
Yep that 8N remake is pretty neat but I prefer the casih red. A front end loader is one of those things that you wonder how you ever got along without. Removing stumps is one of the hardest jobs IMO on the loader and tractor. Don't know if you have done it but adding a hook on the top of the bucket to hook a log chain to is one of the most useful things you can do to increase the usability of the loader. There have been numerous post on this site where the hooks are discussed.

/ DX40 #4  
I agree about stumps being hard on a loader. The ones I removed were 8 years old, most of them were Balsam or Poplar so the roots were shallow, they pretty much popped right out but there were a few I could not get.
I see you have a D40. Has it served you well? How do you like the gear shift, are the shift linkages still nice and tight or do they get play in them over time? I never drove the gearshift, I kind of wish I had.
I don't have a hook on my bucket yet although it would have come in handy a few times already. I read some of the threads on bucket hooks, looks like you should mount them over the loader arms. Jinman has his attached with a hitch pin and chain, they would be easy to remove and flexible.
JJ

/ DX40
My D40 has been an excellent tractor, no issues at all, just wish I had rear hyd service valves installed when I bought it, can't justify $500 each now. The shift linkages are just as tight as when new (now about 550 hours) I just kinda would like a hydrastat but still not sure would like it. I have bucket hooks over each arm and one in the middle, the middle one gets 99% of the use.

/ DX40 #6  
I think I am an old gear shift driver. I plowed snow the other night and the hydro just seemed a little slow and the tractor seemed to not be as powerful as I would think it should be. I'm sure a lot of it is me not being used to the hydro, but even at road speeds I think the gearshift is faster. Plus I froze my butt off, I called a dealer just to see about a trade for a cab tractor possibly with a gear shift.
I hear you on the rear remotes, seem very pricey for what they are but are definitely a necessity in certain circumstances.
JJ