DX55 - PTO safety switch number?

/ DX55 - PTO safety switch number? #1  

jduke

Bronze Member
When using my tractor, i have upon several occasions snagged a switch wire under the tractor and ripped the wires out, rendering the tractor unable to start.

This switch is the one sort of up underneath where the step is. Its got two wires coming out of it, and it is the one that prevents the tractor from starting when the PTO is engaged. I have soldered it back together a couple of time and even shorted the two wires to get the tractor to start, but i need to replace it now. I can't for the life of me figure out what or where it is in the case IH parts diagrams.

Can someone help?

/ DX55 - PTO safety switch number? #2  
If you are sure you need the PTO switch, I can tell you the number. It is SBA385202640 and is priced at $39.82 from Messicks.com . This is the switch that works off the linkage going to the hydraulic actuator sitting on top of the rear transmission/differential case. If you go to messicks.com and look at the electrical diagram locator, the switch is shown as item #29. If you call Messicks on the telephone using the number from the website, I'm sure they can verify this number. It looks to me like Case and New Holland both replaced an earlier switch with a newer version that is a bit more expensive. New Holland shows two part numbers for the same switch, but the Case diagram only shows the switch part number listed above.

Good luck finding your part.

/ DX55 - PTO safety switch number?
See, thats what's throwing me off. The thing im talking about is not located anywhere close to that. Mine is located in the area around parts 11 or 2.

/ DX55 - PTO safety switch number? #4  
Is it possible you are talking about a transmission range safety switch instead of the PTO switch? Have you followed the PTO lever mechanism and seen it move as the PTO is engaged and disengaged? There is also a potentiometer in the area you are describing, but I have no idea what it does.

What I do know is that you have a hydraulic actuated PTO clutch/brake very similar to my TC45D. That clutch is actuated by a small valve about the size of a pack of cigarettes and sits on top of the transmission. Yours seems to show a similar location by the diagram.

If you could post a picture of your switch, you might have better luck with someone who will help you. I'm afraid I'm just confusing the issue and have reached my level of expertise. I think you need better help than I can give. I'd suggest you also ask your question in the New Holland forums because the TC55DA is an identical tractor. Do you have EHSS or SSS transmission?

/ DX55 - PTO safety switch number?
I will try to post a pic. I know it goes to the PTO because when the 'thing' is hooked up and working, the tractor will NOT start if the PTO lever is even slightly forward. Its nothing more than a continuity switch for the starter.

/ DX55 - PTO safety switch number? #6  
jduke,
I've attached a couple of pictures I had from my DX55. Not the greatest, but maybe they will help you describe the location. This is below the left step/footrest.

Attachments

• Jun05#91.JPG
    Jun05#91.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 361
  • Jun05#92.JPG
    Jun05#92.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 350
   / DX55 - PTO safety switch number? #7  
My pictures are from a 2007 DX55 EHSS. Note there are parts differences between the SSS and the EHSS in this area, and they also changed the design in 2/07 adding new parts. The diagram for the newest model DX55 EHSS are incorrect, showing the SSS model parts. I looked up the NH 2410 and it might be correct but the parts look different again. I would check with your dealer to be safe.

/ DX55 - PTO safety switch number? #8  
Snow, ice and water simply don't help safety switchs. (and winter boots)
I have noticed that commercial snow contractors tend to bypass them one by one as they are constant source of stoppage, and always at the wrong time and location.
(like in a client driveway 1/2 mile from the shop at -25 deg without any tools)

The best safety switch is between the ears under the hat!