Case IH 595 Overheating

/ Case IH 595 Overheating #1  

Baytown

Tractor
Kubota BX23S
G'day fellas, from Ken in Australia.
I own a Case IH 595 4x4 with 990 hours on it, and it's a great tractor.
I have a few minor maintenance issues which I want to sort, the most pressing is overheating.
The tractor runs in the red when slashing (medium to heavy slashing) after 1/2 an hour, and I am in the tropics in North Queensland, Australia, so outside temp is around 90f plus.
I have a very clean radiator, all hoses are fine, I change the glycol each 2 years (due now) as per the manual.
I have had a boil over from the cap once.
Question is should I replace the radiator cap with a new one, or ditch the thermostat entirely.:confused: We do not get cold weather here.
Thanks for any advice, and best wishes from Oz.

Ken.

/ Case IH 595 Overheating #2  
Hope thosse fires aren't to close to you! You might look into the radiator with the cap removed and see if the cores are clean.

I think you have been changing the anti-freeze in good shape but that still might be the problem do to the age.

You could have a head gasket problem but that often shows up in less operating time.

To overfill into the radiator neck and while running look for air bubbles would tell you if you do!

/ Case IH 595 Overheating
G'day Art.
Thanks for the reply.
I've thought about the head, but not noticed any indication of a leaky gasket or warped head. That being said, I'll see if I can get it pressure tested, after I do as you advised.
Re the fires, yep, they are a national tragedy. Around 210 plus dead now.
They are gearing uop for another bad day for tomorrow. Our hearts go out for the fire victims though, and all the poor animals.
We are 3000kms away (Nth) but we have just had a cyclone and serious flooding. Rain just hasn't stopped. My 800 meter driveway had been washed away, and 2 culverts have collapsed. I'm working on them now, but there's not much I can do with the big wet at present. If I move my tractor out of the shed, it'll end up bogged for 2 months at least!
A lot of the locals have donated their flood relief money from the Government to the fire victims. Our places are wet and muddy, not burnt down!
Thanks again Art.
Best wishes mate.

Ken.

/ Case IH 595 Overheating #4  
We have good freinds in the Sydney and Canberra area. Visiting your country a few years back for a wedding we found it a wonderful country with great people. We started out with a small warm weather vacation in Palm Cove before the wedding and then did a tour into the country a bit around the Sydney area.

/ Case IH 595 Overheating
G'day Art.
Glad you enjoyed Oz.
I'm not a big fan of Sydney (the big city etc), but the Canberra region is lovely, albeit so dry.
I've just returned from being posted there for 2 years without my wife. Over rated!

Re the tractor issue, I drained, flushed, refilled with radiator fluid, replaced the cooling system filter, and will replace the cap and see how I go then. The coolant looked to be in good condition, and was only 2 years and 60 hours engine time old. The core looked very clean. If the overheating continues, I'll get the system pressure tested and hopefully get a definitive diagnosis.

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

/ Case IH 595 Overheating #6  
hey there you may be overfilling with water i have a 585 same thing fill to 2 and a half inches from top wrm.if this doesn't work take a piece of 12-2 copper wire open therm. put the wire in .it stays open this is what i did along with changing sending unit . holt50

/ Case IH 595 Overheating #7  
I presume your tractor was shipped direct from factory (Doncaster) to Australia, in which case it will be fitted with the "Tropical cooling package". a tractor sold in Europe then shipped out there of course would not have the increased capability cooling package.

A pressure test is a good idea to test system and cap pressurisation. you say she runs in red but of course the question is "how hot is hot"?? have you checked the temperature with one of the infra red thermometers ??

Do you have aservice manual, or need one?? if so send me aPM with your e mail address !!