Case 535 Starts with 4wd engaged.

/ Case 535 Starts with 4wd engaged. #1  

gekog

Tractor
1991 Case IH 535
I have a 1991 Case 535 4wd that I purchased last year. After wrecking the pinion gears to the tune of $2,000, I found out from the mechanic that for some reason, the tractor (when started up) starts up with the 4wd. engaged.

The 4wd is operated off a toggle on the dash, and even if the toggle is in the off position, it starts up in 4wd. and stays that way until I flip the toggle to the 'On' position and then again to the 'Off' position. After that, the 4wd system operates normally....engaging when the toggle is flipped 'On' and disengaging when the toggle is flipped 'Off'. Once I shut the tractor off and restart it, it once again (always) will start in 4wd.

Obviously, this is not a good thing. I am convinced that eith I or someone else will forget the need to play with the toggle after starting it, and it will be another huge bill. Anyone have any idea why this is starting in 4wd?
Thanks very much for any help on this

gekog:eek:

/ Case 535 Starts with 4wd engaged. #2  
Never heard of a 1991 Case 535. Do you mean CaseIH 595? They were in production in 1991 or so. Anyhow, you need a wiring schematic.

/ Case 535 Starts with 4wd engaged.
Thanks for the reply.
Yup, I mean a Case IH 535. So...obviously something is wired up wrong. Anyone have this happen to them before?

gekog