Case 685--too big?

/ Case 685--too big? #1  

cmsedore

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HST
I've been searching for a replacement for my Ford 1700, and having a hard time swallowing the prices for new equipment (I'd really like an L4610, but $23.5k is hard to take).

I found a case 685 at a local tractor place. The 685 is quite a step up even from the L4610, with 62 PTO HP. It's MFWD (8/4 F/R, not shuttle), with a quick-detach loader and 2400 hours. It's generally in pretty good shape--engine is clean, sheet metal generally good. The rear tire fenders have lights built into the front, and the bottom of the light assembly is rusted out, but that's the only significant rust I could find. The loader bucket is OK, but it had some sort of teeth bolted into it, all of which are broken off. The seat is completely shot, it would have to be replaced. It would also need new front tires in the next year or two (the fronts are 12.4-24s, dry rotted/weather checked).

He's asking ~$8500 for it. I've not driven it yet, so I can't say how it runs.

Some part of this is pure horsepower envy, though I would like to be able to pull a 7' bush hog (or even a batwing, as it takes about 25-30 hours to mow my fields with the 5' footer). For moving snow, I can't imagine something better excepting a wheel loader. Skidding logs, stuck vehicles, etc should be easy.

The hangup is that I wanted to pull a finish mower with whatever I bought. An 84" would cover the tracks, and it has dual speed PTO so I could run it at 1300 engine RPM, but it also weighs ~7000 pounds and is BIG.

Additionally, the owner (who picks up most of his tractors at auctions), said he could get me a MFWD Ford 4610 w/loader for ~13-15k. The 4610 is a little smaller, but is more ag oriented with filters and such sticking out in places I'd worry about. The Case is built like a tank, with nothing hanging out underneath it.

Just tell me I'm dreaming and I'll go back to the compact search. I just like the idea of buying something for which I can pay cash.

-Chris

/ Case 685--too big? #2  
Price sounds good for that tractor. Must be because it does not have a TA. You'll notice that the range shifter is set up to shuttle between fwd and rev.

How big of an area do you have to finish cut? If it is a small area,why not pick up a lawn tractor to go along with the CIH?

/ Case 685--too big?
I thought the price seemed reasonable as well. I did notice the range shifter, and even without sync, it seems like a good arrangement. Most of the fwd/rev shifting would be in moving snow, and if you do it right, you coast to a stop into the bank and then back right up, not much delay.

If I had my way /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif, I'd probably only finish cut 1/3-1/2 an acre, my wife, on the other hand, would like to mow about 4-5 acres and possibly more depending on what happens to part of our fields (we're talking about putting in a baseball/softball field for our kids). I hate mowing (too many hours during my childhood, I guess), but would like to have a baseball field.

-Chris