international b275 ok or trouble ?

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #1  

griptongue

Tractor
yanmar 226d, mf35
I am going to look at a b275 tractor on sunday, price at $2000. I want to use it for mowing with a 5ft mower and blading my road. are these good tractors ? are parts available ? could I use a box scraper with it ?

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #2  
I've had a B-275 for about 20 years. Overall it's been a good tractor. They have an 8 speed transmission and live hydraulics and a live PTO through a 2-stage clutch. The implements I've used with it are a 6' finish mower, 5' rotary cutter, 6' box scraper & 30" scoop pan, 2 bottom plow and 5' disc. I've been lucky with parts over the years. I found an old IH dealer not too far away that also sold Mahindra tractors for a time. He still sells parts for both and has been able to get me what I have needed over the years though some parts can be expensive. Many Mahindra parts will fit the B-275 because IH set Mahindra up making B-275's in India in the early 1960's. They made them for many years for the Indian market. Some of the Mahindra models made until recently still had some parts that will interchange with the B-275.

Sloppy steering and weak brakes are common problems on these tractors. The brakes can be repaired without spending a whole lot of money. I've gone through mine twice in 20 years and they work very well. I've have just learned to live with the sloppy steering. A new steering box is available but it is around $600. One thing to remember is the B-275 always requires glow plugs to start unless the engine is close to operating temp. Many owners let the glow plugs system fall into disrepair and start using ether. Be careful if the tractor you are looking at is like this. Long term use of ether can be hard on an engine. There is a Yahoo group for the "B-series" tractors where you can see what issues other people have had and the solutions they have come up with for them.

/ international b275 ok or trouble ?
thanks for the reply. I have a better idea of what to look at.

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #4  
I posted this in another forum, and since I think it's valuable, I'm putting it here, too.

I run old (1980) mercedes diesels, and the B-275 glow plugs are identical to the older loop type glow plugs. Same large M18 thread, series wired, slow glow time.

Bosch Glow Plug

I also run later model (1985) benzes. These have the pencil type glow plugs for the later type benz engines, which are small M-12 thread, parallel wired, fast glow, and kits can be found with the larger thread base to convert to the older engines.

Early 123 240D 4 Cylinder Diesel Bosch Fast Glow plug Conversion Kit | MercedesSource.com

I suggest anyone who is thinking of replacing glow plugs to investigate the Bosch Benz plugs. The older ones are a direct replacement.

With a little wiring change, you could use the pencil type units, and maybe spring for the whole upgrade kit with the push button, etc.

Anyone out there run into this idea? The older type benz plugs sure are cheaper, and the upgrade to the pencil types work so much better. The later parallel system works if one burns out. The old ones usually don't.

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #5  
Hi: I have a B275 and find your post regarding glow plugs very interesting. I've checked on mercedessourse. com site and I believe the kit you are sugesting is item# DSL-EARLYGOR-4, am I correct in asuming the plugs have the correct thread and will fit right in Would apreciate any advice you can offer. My other option is to replace with original type but sounds like this would be a smart upgrade. Just want to be sure the kit I order will work for me . Thanks

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #6  
Those tractors might still take basic parts from Mahindra's and they may have a system to change them from original at a lower price then mercedes. Most companies improve improve their line-ups with time.

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #7  
It looks like Manindra switched a different system (note the cost) below is the part number for a E350 which has a simlar engine but 3 cylinder (the 475 has the 4 cylinder and shows same part #).

005558187R1 HEATER Air intake for Cold Starting | C/22/2001 $253.45

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=150076

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #8  
I've had some experiance with air heaters and they seem to work very well but still like the idea of switching to the pin type glow plugs .Thanks for the info, will be a great help befor I make my final decision.

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #9  
B275 how do you turn on the glow plugs?
-have a keyed ignition with no key but the tractor starts up by pushing the center lever down with the choke in warm weather
but fails to start in cold weather
-Tractor has a 1" long lever on the right side of the dash that I understand is to activate the glow plug
but it does not move now
- Should I work on making a working keyed ignition ( if this was not on and working how does the tractor start in the summer)
- or should I free up the dash lever and see if that does something (seems to make more sense)
Appreciate the feed back

/ international b275 ok or trouble ? #10  
B275 how do you turn on the glow plugs?
-have a keyed ignition with no key but the tractor starts up by pushing the center lever down with the choke in warm weather
but fails to start in cold weather
-Tractor has a 1" long lever on the right side of the dash that I understand is to activate the glow plug
but it does not move now
- Should I work on making a working keyed ignition ( if this was not on and working how does the tractor start in the summer)
- or should I free up the dash lever and see if that does something (seems to make more sense)
Appreciate the feed back

Yes Jeff I would suggest you trace tht lever and its system until you understand it. Then if poss purchase a press and hold type switch , a glow plug resistor (which is that coil you watch for heat) and get some proffesional advice on whether you ought to have a relay in the circuit. Ask some questions while your auto electrical pro checks your glow plugs are working. You will of course take them out of the motor and take those along for unit testing:thumbsup: (Rather than drag the guy out the farm and pay ten million dollars ransom for making his life difficult):laughing:
If those are ok you have the parts. If not follow the advice above and get some Mercedes items (or anything that works) Most under 18mm will be adaptable. Many of that diameter may fit ,you'll need to check thread pitch so you have the information needed & keep in mind they will be 12 volt not 24. Many truck plugs are not going to work for that reason.:thumbdown:
Now. After all this writing here . Once the first task is complete you should know if it is better to restore the original system. it may take little work to have it operating. Which is a great way to save time and money unless it becomes involved much. once you have done any of the above you will always know exactly how to fix any new problems that occur as you have educated yourself, & thats what its largely about-knowing.