Case 1690 Problems

/ Case 1690 Problems #1  

benwelder

Hi all,

Been reading here for quite a while. My parents just recently bought a 40 acre farm in Maine growing organic produce. It came with haying a equipment (for the cows) and an old International 574. That tractor has a hard time running the mower without overheating.

So they bought a used Case 1690. Nice piece of equipment, 4wd, FEL, etc... Had it about 7 months now. It was great in the winter and the snow. Nothing could stop it.

Now the issues:

Steering: It's been having this steering problem. Some of the time it steers fine, little effort, as power steering should. But it will intermittently, have arm-strong-steering like you have no power steering. It has always been leaking some kind of oil from under the dash, and the guy they bought it from said that he just replaced the power-steering pump. So, tore apart the dash and pulled the steering motor. Took the motor completely apart, didn't seem to be anything obviously wrong, so got a seal kit and put it back together, and installed it in the tractor.

Now the fun stuff...

After putting the steering motor back in, didn't reassemble everything in case it had to come out again, started the tractor up and it immediately rev'd to full throttle, started throwing the random spark out the exhaust pipe etc... thought "oh well, no problem just pull the off switch"

Pulled the fuel cut-off switch and nothing happened... thought a couple of other choice things and then stalled it out with the clutch.

So now two more problems:

1. Fuel shut off doesn't have any effect.

2. Throttle is wide-open.

Any help would be great.

Checked obvious stuff. The linkage to the fuel shut-off is worn and not turning it reliably. So took this off and manually tried it and no effect. The throttle works, doesn't seem to be stuck...

Kind of baffled, and not much experience with diesel engines.

Thanks,

-BenWelder

/ Case 1690 Problems
Anyone?

Is there a better place to post this? Did I not give good information?

/ Case 1690 Problems #3  
You might have better luck over on Yesterdays Tractors.

/ Case 1690 Problems #4  
Try "Farming forum UK"....I know there are several on there who can help you