International 674

/ International 674 #1  

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
Picked this tractor up last week. What a smooth old tractor. Will be using it for food plots on my 16 acre field on my 102 acre farm. Anyone ever own one of these? I have found several local people who have owned them in the past and some still do. Any comments? Anyway, its my first tractor and it is amusing to me that this tractor and I are the same age, it also amuses me that it still works so hard. I got it at a price that I think I could resell if I don't like owning an older tractor and want to trade up.

/ International 674 #2  
Whats so amusing about that! I remember selling them when they were new!

/ International 674
Whats so amusing about that! I remember selling them when they were new!

I guess that it does all the work I need it to and its 35 years old....not used to seeing equipment that old that is any good. I must admit that I'm still working hard to at 35....:)

/ International 674 #4  
I have a 574, runs good tho a bit primitive by today's standards. Basic, no frills but lots of grunt and easy to do normal maintenance on. I bought it used but not aware of any catastrophic failures requiring major overhaul tho a previous owner has "tinkered" with the electrics. I am working on restoring now.

/ International 674 #5  
674's were fantastic little tractors..light ,punchy and gripped well.
They were a favourite loader tractor on stock farms in the UK with the cascade gearbox on the left.....Although when worn the transmission linkage could jam if your movements were not "Clean" and precise ...Requireing a little tap with a hammer occasionally..lol

/ International 674 #6  
I own a 674, mind you i am one year younger than it. My father bought it new when he was a contractor. It definitely used to do alot of tough work and was never found wanting. Its extremely reliable and i push it hard when i use it with some big trailers/tankers etc. My dad put wider tyres on the back when he bought it and it makes a huge difference.
Mind you im getting round to an upgrade and retire the 674, she will be staying on the farm and will get a much needed 'do up' next winter jut in time for my Dads 65 birthday.

Being nosey, what did you pay for the 674, as i origionally thought of trading it in but its worth more to us for sentimental value!

/ International 674 #7  
HI.. my 674 won't start I turn the key and nothing. I bought a new battery and still nothing. I have lights but nothing when I turn the key. I tried jumping it with my truck and a little something happened but nothing. (prior to buying a new battery). I don't know much about tractors..I am thinking of a solenoid or starter..any ideas?

/ International 674 #8  
Does the solenoid 'click' at all? It maight be jammed. You have changed the battery so you can rule that out and i assume there where no problems last time the tractor was running?
When you are trying to start again get someone to tap the solenoid with something metal see if that helps.
Also are all the electrical connections to from the starter/altenator connected OK?

/ International 674 #9  
There is not clicking or any other noise. I'll try the tapping on the solenoid. I did try tapping the starter with no effect. All connnections seem to be fine nothing moved or separated. Thanks for the reply. Keep the ideas a coming!

/ International 674 #10  
Ours used to give trouble with the isolator on the clutch pedal..?