CIH - CVT in compact line.

/ CIH - CVT in compact line. #2  
CVTs are available in some lines of ag tractors for past few years. They are more popular in Europe than in US. The claim is they will save the owner money by increased fuel economy by optimizing the transmission to the engine based on load. Ag guys who have them seem to like them. Some say, they never use a clutch any more. On a mid sized ag tractor (125-175)they will add 15K to the price compared to a standard transmission. I have heard of horror stories on repairs in ag tractors. Local guys can't/don't work on them. Transmissions have to be shipped elsewhere for repairs and the repair costs are high. Some have described them as a gear transmission with HST/hydraulics making the gear changes. The gear changes are seamless. You can pull a heavy load from zero to road speed by just moving a lever. It can automatically upshift/downshift when needed to optimize performance.

If the cost was only $2-3k higher than HST, then I might consider it.

/ CIH - CVT in compact line. #3  
I saw one at my dealer herein Wisconsin, it was a 45 horse cab tractor. The salesman that sold me my DX40 said the cost was about $600.00 over a hydro in the same model. I didn't drive it but he said he did, there is a lot to get used to, a lot of buttons to push. He said time will tell how people will like them, he wouldn't say good or bad.

/ CIH - CVT in compact line. #4  
The price is more reasonable than I expected. Wonder why there are buttons to push?
On ag tractor there is a push button for heavy tillage, normal and light duty. Helps the tranny determine shifting requirements.

/ CIH - CVT in compact line. #5  
I'm not sure what all the buttons did, but the salesman said he was driving it and got to a point where he could not move at all. No fault of the tractor, just his inexperience with the controls.