5240 PTO shaft seal leaking

/ 5240 PTO shaft seal leaking #1  

halfbean

My 5240 has a leak coming out of where the PTO shaft is. Does it have to be broken in half to replace the seal or can it be done from the outside? I am guessing it is a seal. Thhe leak has gotten progressively worse lately.

Thanks
Hal

/ 5240 PTO shaft seal leaking #2  
My 5240 has a leak coming out of where the PTO shaft is. Does it have to be broken in half to replace the seal or can it be done from the outside? I am guessing it is a seal. Thhe leak has gotten progressively worse lately.

Thanks
Hal

Hello Hal,
I don't know if you got the leak fixed yet, but to answer your Question Yes you can change that seal from the outside. you need a good seal puller and a good driver for the new seal. but the leak could be comming from a oring inside. if you pull the PTO shaft out and the oil is comming from inside that shaft then the oring would be bad and that would require removing the PTO assembly. that is alot of work for a small leak. you could do what we call "farm fab it " and clean up the oil and put some silicone on the center splines that would slow it down alittle for a while.
Good Luck Ed

Farm and Heavy Equipment Parts - ABC Repair Parts