IH 3688

/ IH 3688 #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
In the quest for a batwing mower tractor with some added features, I found a '85 3688 MFWD. Looks good, good tires & metal. Recent rebuild on the DT diesel. Cab w/ air & duals on back. It has the syncrho tri-six trans, not the hydro.

Anyone have experience with IH 88 series?

/ IH 3688 #2  
I don't know much about that series. In my farming area, I just don't see them. See newer and old models. They are very distintive with the side engine covers but never see one for sale or in use. I always wondered if there were problems with them.

/ IH 3688 #3  
A 3688 was not offered in hydro, that was the 3488 which was hydro only. The tranny in a 3688 is the old 4 speed with high and low range with an electric shift TA. Same deal as the 86 and 66 large frame tractors with the addition of the solenoid controlled TA. The Synchro tri-six was in the 5X88 series only.

Check the cooling fan shaft bearings carefully. You don't need to lose that shaft and waste a radiator. That's the first thing my buddy did after buying a used 3688.

/ IH 3688 #6  
They were an option!!!

Admittedly, TA's were always an option on any tractor where they were available. Probably weren't many 3688's without one, but this could certainly be one of them. The idea of it having the synchro tri-six is impossible, though.

/ IH 3688 #8  
Admittedly, TA's were always an option on any tractor where they were available. Probably weren't many 3688's without one, but this could certainly be one of them. The idea of it having the synchro tri-six is impossible, though.

The syncro tri six was only in the 5088-5288-5488, and the 7088-7288 tractors.