case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #1  

dtl2900

Hello, My brother has a 1986 Case Ih 3394 and the power shift is not working correctly. He has had two different mechanics work on it and several relays have been replaced but that hasn't solved the problem. One Mechanic thinks it may be a bad ground somewhere? Has any one had similiar problems? How would one find if there was a service bulletin on this? These tractors were made from 85-87 and then we understand they changed from the electric switching of the power shift to manual? I am the internet savy brother and will pass on any ideas, suggestions or questions. Thanks for reading and for any input you can share. The Tractor is in Southern Idaho.
Thank you, Dennis in Oregon

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #2  
International users preferred the IH 5088 Series tractors and Case IH used them to create the Magnums. There are relatively few Case lovers who prefer these white and red Case tractors.

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #3  
I'd be checking the filters first, at the same time find every electrical connection and clean them.

It is hard to help not knowing what the problem or issue is.

sentry boxes can be fun on those 88 series!

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #4  
They were never right untill the magnums..?

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #5  
They were never right untill the magnums..?

The magnums have been the a very reliable tractor and the tranmissions have been very reliable and easy to adjust for operator comfort and work.

The older case transmissions require more work to do the testing and diagnosis to find the problems.

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #6  
The magnums have been the a very reliable tractor and the tranmissions have been very reliable and easy to adjust for operator comfort and work.

The older case transmissions require more work to do the testing and diagnosis to find the problems.
Absoluteley..thats what i meant...Magnums are far less trouble than the case's in all departments..!

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #7  
We have a 5488 IH and two case's a 2590 and a 2594. The two Case tractors nave never had the Power shift, rear end or the engine worked on. The Case power shift is a good tranny if properly cared for. I would rather operate the case tractors.

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #8  
Had a 1896 and in freezing weather you not only had to plug in the engine heater to start it, you had to plug in the transmission heater to shift it and keep it from breaking down.

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #9  
We have a 5488 IH and two case's a 2590 and a 2594. The two Case tractors nave never had the Power shift, rear end or the engine worked on. The Case power shift is a good tranny if properly cared for. I would rather operate the case tractors.

How many hours have they done..?

/ case IH 3394 mfwd 1986 power shift tranny problems #10  
Had a 1896 and in freezing weather you not only had to plug in the engine heater to start it, you had to plug in the transmission heater to shift it and keep it from breaking down.

That uses the CDC or Cummins engine, I think the pump timing would be off unless the temps were below zero.