Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions #1  

DH44

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case DX45
Hello all-
I recently purchased a case Farmall Comapct 45 hp tractor. Went the whole nine yards and got the hydrostatic transmission and the cab. Love the tractor and the cab has saved me from several dozen angry wasps so far! I have a couple of questions for the learned group. First, my fuel gauge has stopped working. It stays all the way down- no movement when you turn the key on. Anyone else had this happen?
I know the safety features are there for a reason- but I thought that if the transmission was in neutral, the pto off, the parking brake on and the 3 point down that you could get up off the seat and it would continue to idle. If I raise up without the parking brake engaged, the beep alarm sounds and then the tractor turns off. But if everything is as above then you get off the seat, it shuts down after a couple of seconds. Is that correct?

Thanks

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions #2  
I have a farmall 45 bought it in the spring. I love mine too I have about 100hours on mine. I have not had any problems with my fuel gauge.

The parking brake does have to be engaged to get of the machine also it has to be in neutral to get off or it will beep and shutdown.

The pto does not have to be off as long as the parking brake is on and it in neutral. Also the 3point can be in any position.

They have a chart in the manual on page 2-8

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions #3  
Have you checked for blown fuses?

On my '04 DX45, with it in neutral, pto off and parking brake on, you can get off the tractor and will keep running continuously. Is you parking brake staying engaged?

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions #4  
Sounds like a dirty safety contact. You should be able to get off the seat with the tractor running as long as it is not in gear. I would have th edelae rlook at the gear safety switch. Maybe gear is not the correct term with a HST. the range selector. Sounds like a loose wire from the gas tank sendign unit. Call the dealer these are easy fixes.

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions #5  
If your neutral safety switch is malfuntioning, your tractor would never start, so I think that is out for causing the tractor to shut off. I would suspect the parking brake. Is the red parking brake light staying illuminated on the dash? The light works off the parking brake lever, not the brake pedal. If the switch for the lever is out of adjustment, it causes the tractor to shut off, but it should also cause the lamp on the dash to be extinguished. If it isn't something simple, I'd let the dealer fix it.

My fuel gage will stick on my tractor. A semi-sharp rap with my fingers on the dash cover makes it spring into action. If yours is failing at this early stage, I'd demand a replacement under warranty. However, your problem might be the probe in the tank or a wiring connection. This is a great thing to have fixed at the 50 hour inspection.

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions #6  
My tractor requires the shift to out of gear, pto off, parking brake set.
I have had trouble with the fuel gauge a couple of times. Both times when the fuel was a little low. Both times it eventually started working again and I don't let it get below 1/4 tank any more. When mine was not working I removed the gauge cluster and touched a wire to and connected the two screws on the fuel sending unit on top of the tank. I was told that if the gauge went to full the gauge was ok. Mine did. Guess the float may have been stuck in the tank.

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions
Found the problem- RATS! Chewed up the looped-back white wire controlling the seat switch behind the windshield washer fluid container. The little bastages also chewed the yellow and black wires in two that go to the fuel gauge. Looks like it's mothballs-in-a-tube-sock time.......

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions #8  
Found the problem- RATS! Chewed up the looped-back white wire controlling the seat switch behind the windshield washer fluid container. The little bastages also chewed the yellow and black wires in two that go to the fuel gauge. Looks like it's mothballs-in-a-tube-sock time.......

Glad you found the problem, sorry it was mice. In addition to the mothballs, you might also put a tubesock filled with ground cayenne pepper. I don't mean filled in the literal sense, but enough to kind dust the area with and leave its aroma. Mice hate cayenne pepper, but you will too if you get it in your eyes; so be careful.

/ Farmall Compact 45 - new owner questions #9  

Get a box of TomCat all weather poison cubes and throw a couple under the tractor. If they want something to eat, give them poison!:)