Considering new JX 1060c to run small baler

/ Considering new JX 1060c to run small baler #1  

baldwinkw

Hi all. I recently looked at a 2008 JX 1060c. I am told that this machine has 45 hp PTO. Does anyone have any experience with this machine and will 45 hp PTO be sufficent to run a small baler. Thanks in advance.

/ Considering new JX 1060c to run small baler #2  
Not familiar with you exact tractor, but it sounds pretty small for running a baler. I bale about 20K annually. If you are on flat ground, and dropping bales on the ground you will probably be okay. If you plan on pulling a wagon behind the baler and you are working on any hills here is a simple rule. The tractor needs to weigh a good bit more then the baler, wagon and load! The smallest tractor I will use to bale on a hill is my old 706 Farmall turned up to 80 HP. It weighs 14K the way I have it set up and there are times I wish it was heavier. The baler, 336 JD with kicker, and a loaded wagon can easily go 10,000 pounds. As an operator you can really be playing with fire if you try to bale with a small light tractor, believe me, I have the scares and cancelled checks to prove it.

/ Considering new JX 1060c to run small baler
Hi Barry thanks for the feedback. This tractor weighs (according to litature) 6063 lbs. Use will be on flat ground dropping bales on the ground.

/ Considering new JX 1060c to run small baler #4  
I agree with Barry and am in a similar situation to yours. We have considered the "el cheapo" option of a newer CUT on the large side vs purchasing a larger 55-75 HP GP tractor either older or newer. If you are looking to get a newer model, we have found we will spend the better part of $30k on the tractor alone and that makes our business plan worthless.

We have three neighbors that use various tractors for baling, ALL say theirs is "really too small", not because of the HP but because of the weight. I did not appreciate the way a baler jerks the tractor until I sat on one while baling, it was an eye opener!

/ Considering new JX 1060c to run small baler #5  
Yes you should be okay with that basic set up in that circumstance.

Just in general though, when you go looking at tractors you may find a nice little price nitch on the 80-100 HP tractors. Basically they are too big for the small guy, and too small for the big farmer. The prices will really reflect that. 40-60 HP will bring more then 80-100 because more people want them. You can find in the IH line anything from a 706 up through a 966 for say 6-12K depending on size, condition etc. It is a nice little secret. My old 706 (actually only a few year younger than me) is a fantastic baler tractor. I upgraded the rear tires to 18.4-38 with full fluid, and weights. That thing stays glued to the hills and really tells the baler and wagon which way to go. Just food for thought.

/ Considering new JX 1060c to run small baler #6  
45pto hp is big enough to run say New Hollands smallest sqaure baler which is a Bc5050, it reguires 35 pto hp. If it is rounds you are baling a 4x4 round baler from NH requires 40 pto hp. So that tractor hp wise is strong enough, especially for squares. That is with NH hay equipment.