JX 80

/ JX 80 #1  

huskerted

Just got a new Case IH jx 80 but will not get owners manual for a bit here as dealer didn't have it yet. How do you start these in cold weather? I see a couple of buttons down on left side of instrument panel (down by my feet) - one is green, the other black. I presume at least one is to assist with cold weather starts, but can't tell. Yesterday starting in 10 degree weather was way harder than it should be. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / JX 80 #2  
Just got a new Case IH jx 80 but will not get owners manual for a bit here as dealer didn't have it yet. How do you start these in cold weather? I see a couple of buttons down on left side of instrument panel (down by my feet) - one is green, the other black. I presume at least one is to assist with cold weather starts, but can't tell. Yesterday starting in 10 degree weather was way harder than it should be. Thanks.

I think your tractor has a Thermostart on it for a starting aid. Normally they are actuated by the key switch. You hold the key in a position between RUN and START for 45 -60 seconds and then engage the starter. It's basically a system that uses fuel and a heated grid start a flame to warm up the inlet air in the intake manifold. WhateVer you do, DO NOT TRY STARTING FLUID WITH THIS DEVICE! It'll blow the intake manifold off!

/ JX 80 #3  
If your Jx80 is non-turbo, I believe it will start the same way my 2005 Jx75 starts. Owners manual says to turn ignition key position "b." That is one click clockwise from vertical. Press and hold "black" button, the Thermostart switch, for 25 seconds. ( Located left side of console, below steering column). Continue to hold the "black" button "in" and turn the ignition key to start. Crank for 15 seconds maximum. if tractor starts, then release "black" button and let ignition key return to "run" position. If tractor does not start and exhausts excessive black smoke there is no need to use the Thermostart again. Just crank and start normally. If tractor fails to start in first 15 seconds of cranking, continue to hold on Thermostart and crank for 30 seconds intervals until started.

Good luck, Ed.

Last edited:
   / JX 80
Much appreciate your assistance. The sage advice of not using starter fluid is particularly appreciated as that was one thought on my mind. I just need to make sure I use the right buttons in the right sequence. I talked to my salesman today after the long weekend break and he walked me through it too. Will give it a whirl tomorrow evening and see what happens. Cheers, Ted