IH 240 Utility

/ IH 240 Utility #1  

lewbest

Hey guys

Found an IH 240 today that's sposta be in "near running" condition that I can buy pretty cheap. I'm thinking about gamblng on it; just hanging a hay rake on it & leaving it there so I don't have to do so much implement changing on the big tractor. What do yall think? any "specifics" to look for? Any "known issues" with these? It's a cute little tractor for sure!

Lew

/ IH 240 Utility #2  
I believe the 240 uses the C123 engine that was also used in SA SC 140 etc .
You should look any cracks,breaks, welding on engine where it attaches to front bolster,also check engine oil level if its high you may need new seals in hyd pump also check that under load it dosn't jump out of any gear.

/ IH 240 Utility
Thanks Ken

I'll check for the cracks/welds; oil level is normal. With it not running I can't check clutch/tranny unless I can move it with the starter (I plan to put a battery on it & be sure it turns over freely). I'll keep yall posted on the progress.

Lew

/ IH 240 Utility #4  
Thanks Ken

I'll check for the cracks/welds; oil level is normal. With it not running I can't check clutch/tranny unless I can move it with the starter (I plan to put a battery on it & be sure it turns over freely). I'll keep yall posted on the progress.

Lew

If there is a crack in the block, it will be behind the carb...this is where most/all 113/123 IH engine blocks would crack if they were to freeze. Anyway, parts for that tractor can be found most anywhere. Check for loosness of the steering as well....Good luck. BobG in VA

/ IH 240 Utility
Thanks Bob

I'll probably look it over good next week if I can figure out the money part; I'm pretty close to what he's asking but not quite.

Lew

/ IH 240 Utility #6  
Those 240's are great little tractors. I have one, and is my raking tractor. I only wish it had the 5 sp. trans. like the 340. 3rd gear is OK for raking, but just a bit faster would be better. And 4th is too fast..

Other than that..., this one sure has earned it's keep, with little, or no problems in the 39 years we've owned it...

/ IH 240 Utility #7  
If you see this, I would be curious to know if you bought the 240. I have one and I love this tractor. It does everything I need it too. I'm thinking about converting it to 12 volt to make it even better. With a wax job, mine will be show worthy. Its not mint but it is in very nice shape.

/ IH 240 Utility
No; I had no idea that tractor prices had fallen through the floor. That little tractor has been sitting a long time, some of the sheet metal removed (but included), no practical way to try to get it going & try it out before buying it. The guy wanted 600 for it.

After finding out how low prices have dropped I ended up buying a much bigger tractor than I need Friday. I primarily cut hay & make small square bales for my little donkeys; use a tractor for little else (I do have a tiller attahment for tilling the garden, heavy box blade to spread gravel on occasion and a post hole digger for setting fence posts on occasion). Been using a Ford 4000 diesel; plenty of power. Hay work gets really hot & dusty sometimes though.

I found a Ford 9600 with air conditioned cab that runs great, starts easy, etc. for less than 5 grand. Never dreamed I'd be able to afford an air conditioned tractor. It'll be delivered this week. Only problem is I hafta fix the air conditioner & I have enough experience with the older automotive a/c systems that it should be a pretty cheap/simple fix. So I'll have a giant as the main tractor, the 4000 for a backup.

Lew

/ IH 240 Utility #9  
Wow sounds like a heck of a deal on that 9600. :thumbsup:

Like I said in my previous post, my tractor is in really good shape but I am missing fenders. I would like to have them, not only to dress it up a little more but for the safety factor as well.

Anybody know where I can find a set?