CaseIH JX Series Durability

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability #1  

sequoyah101

Silver Member
Tractor
CaseIH 50A, CaseIH JX95, CaseIH JX80, Allis 190XT, Daewoo DD80L Dozer, Schaeff SKL831 Loader, Komatsu PC40-7 Trackhoe, JCB 210S TLB, JD750, JD820, Kubota FR3680, Kioti Mechron
How are your tractors in this series holding up? Thanks in advance for weighing in.

I have a JX95 / MFWD / Cab / Loader and a JX80 / 2WD / Platform, both '08 models. Minor problems so far: just a bad install on the clutch linkage for the JX95, loader bucket has hydraulic slop in it that I have to take up sometimes, plastic end on the PTO cable for the JX80 broke and both have about 150 hrs on them. At 50 hrs I went around and tightened everything I could get a wrench on and some things needed it. We have found the heater hoses are junk on the JX95 as they leak like a screen door on a submarine and we have replaced them ...kinda sorry material and pitiful quality. CaseIH should be ashamed.

The guys that work on the place like both of the machines and help take good care of them. We mow, grapple brush, bale, feed, blade driveways, a little scraper work etc.

Anyways, I was messing around at the shop over Christmas and asked the local diesel mechanic / fabricator / fixer of odd stuff to come over and see if he wanted to build some skidsteer attach adaptors for a couple of the loaders. He drove up, got out, noted the new JX95, told me a buddy of his has one and that it is a piece of junk. Clutch blew up in under 200 hrs, engine "fell apart" (mains came unbolted) at 700 hrs, AC doesn't work, radio quit and CaseIH just said ...tough luck. Just as I was getting ready to dismiss him the phone rang and I learned my mom broke her hip so the discourse ended.

I bought CaseIH because of unsatisfactory impressions and reports about new JDs, didn't care for the Massey offerings and Kubota didnt' fit me. I also thought they are a solid design and that CaseIH were seriously trying to compete and would stand behind the products. I got a lot of criticism for buying RED in Green and Orange country and I don't want to care.

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability #2  
My JX 80 is essentially brand new but I have both the front steering cylinders leaking pretty badly, when I asked the guy who came to replace the seals still under warranty whether he sees this problem a lot in this series, he said "no". My response, "so I just got lucky, huh?" I certainly hadn't used it enough for that to be caused by anything I did. My 3-point doesn't work to well either - something awry in the auto adjust valve - the guy fixed it but I would say only about 80% fix relative to what I am used to. The mechanic recommended I check several bolts to make sure they stay tight, so that might be a common issue.

Other than that, so far so good. I hope I didn't buy a lemon. I see the asking prices of used ones are still pretty high relative to what I bought this new one for, but then I don't think lots of the used ones are selling too quickly right now either. Don't like the sounds of some of your experiences. But, I don't use it for much other than hay, snow, and utility. Hope to hear more good than bad about these. Have been Red for ever so would be hard to change.

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability #3  
I refer to that model as a basic or economy model group. Case-IH has other groups that offer more features. We have had to work on some of them that we have sold for different repairs but nothing to any great degree of problems when comparing to many of the other makes.

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability #4  
We've sold a pile of '95's in the last two years and I can't say I've heard of any real chronic problems.

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability
Well, thanks for the input and I feel a little better. So-far-so-good.

I really like the machines and I ran each of the candidates and went all over them pretty darn well and did a lot of research before pulling the trigger.

You may have seen the guy they call the "Polar Bear" on Ice Road Truckers ...I'm kinda like him 'cept taller. The JX cab was really comfortable for me and the platform really is more comfortable than any tractor I ran.

The three point has been great for lifting capacity. I have a 14' 3 pt mount mower that the 95 handles just fine.

I'm very particular about the shuttle shifting coming to a full stop to change direction. The boys do a good job of this as well. We go a little slow to go fast and I think that works out well for us. I don't care much at all for slamming equipment around.

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability #6  
I purchased a 2007 model JX95 w/MFD as a "demo" in 2008 and had them add a L730 loader. I had been looking for a good used tractor with the same hp and a left hand power reverser. They offered the JX95 to me for less money than those used units. True, it does not have all the goodies but it has what I need. I traded in a 35 yr old IH 766, so this is a big leap in technology anyway. I have a small hilly farm with CRP and food plots, and the tractor handles everything from mowing to pulling a 18'disk w/harrows and everything in between. I would have settled for an open platform, but that cab is great. I save my mowing for the heat of day to cool off and smile at the insects on the outside. A lot less allergies too. The owners manual says to check and retighten bolts, and I did find several that needed to be snugged up. I consider that normal with anything new though. I am sure that the higher end tractors are quieter and more user friendly, but this tractor is reatively comfortable and well balanced with excellent visability.

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability #7  
I have a farmall f95 and the pto cable did the same thing the plastic holder broke and let the pto clutch slip as it would not hold the pto clutch in. There is no telling how future damage this is causing to the pto clutch. Case /IH knows about the problem and won,t change the cable design because it is a money maker. When the pto clutch goes out the tractor has to be split in half.

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability #8  
I bought a used jx95 with front wheel assit cab loader with 400 hrs on it. At 600 hrs I am now having trouble with no power to wheels after tractor warms up. It will barely untrack in third range 1st gear??? It's as if the clutch is slipping but the tranny does not get hot and there is no smell. Is this a lcutch adjustment problem? I hope I didn't buy a lemon as well... Any suggestions?

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability
Clutch does not have much adjustment range. If somebody is using the loader and not coming to a full stop to shuttle shift it will wear out the synchronizers and maybe the clutch as well.

Does it shift hard or grind into gear? This would also be indicative of a bad throwout bearing.

I bought mine there at Weatherford. Please let me know what transpires.

NONE of these thoughts are probably related to a problem associated with warming up.

Check the clutch adjustment.

/ CaseIH JX Series Durability #10  
It was definately clutch adjustment. The clutch was not fully diengageing when the pedal was fully let out. 15 min adjutment and now it works perfectly...