ih pto info A or C

/ ih pto info A or C #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I'm looking at a model A or C.. but I think it is an A, as it is red.. I havn't looked at the front axle yet to determine which it is though.

Question, what is the pto arangement on those tractors. If I remember right it wasn't the standard 6 spline 540 rpm.. or am I remembering wrong.

Soundguy

/ ih pto info A or C #2  
Are you referring to a Farmall A or C? I am pretty sure that either of those will have the standard 540 RPM 6 spline PTO shaft. My neighbor has an old Super C that he uses when he mows his fields with a tow behind sicklebar mower. Farmall As have the offset drive line, while the Cs are in-line. Hope this helps.

/ ih pto info A or C
Thanks,

Also, question here. Were belly mowers available for these units? If so, I'm guessing a pulley arangement? Was this pulley powered off a mid pto? or rear pto with a slide on pulley?

Thanks,

Soundguy

/ ih pto info A or C #4  
I have seen many As with mid mount mowers on them. Woods is one company that makes (or used to make) them. There are probably other manufacturers also. They are powered from the rear PTO using a long belt and a couple pulleys to route the belt down and under the tractor. If the tractor in question has hydraulics it should have a couple of L shaped brackets on a rock shaft just behind the engine. These were originally used to lift and lower mid mounted cultivators. The mower decks would be lifted by connecting a chain from the right side bracket down to the deck. The Farmall A can handle a 60" deck without any trouble. Hope this helps.

/ ih pto info A or C
Thanks

Soundguy

/ ih pto info A or C #6  
IH also made mid mounts for the A & C. Same pulley arrangement as Woods. Ours had a 72" deck and the blades rotated counterclockwise viewing from the seat.

Eugene

/ ih pto info A or C #7  
If your referring to a Farmall A or C there's a big difference between the two tractors. Not only does a Farmall C have a little more hp but everything is centered between the rear wheels. On the Farmall A and B everything is off set to one side.. Don't mistake a A for a Farmall Cub, the A an Cub look a lot alike except the Cub is smaller. There is nothing standard on the Farmall Cub...

/ ih pto info A or C #8  
My grandfather and father had always used IH tractors. First Cub, then Super A, then C and finally a 140. We even had a 6ft belly mower on the 140. It had independent front and rear lifts which was great. We could use the scrape blade and not have to remove the mower.

Eugene

/ ih pto info A or C #9  
PS. The 140 also has hydraulic down pressure. I wish new tractors had it.

Eugene

/ ih pto info A or C #10  
Some do have 3 point down pressure today. Unfortunately it is either the top of the heap price wise(Fendt) or the bottom(Belarus)