Buying Advice 53 IH Cub lo boy I'm looking at- need advice

/ 53 IH Cub lo boy I'm looking at- need advice #1  

jeffgreef

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmall, Gibson, Windolph, Simar, Bear Cat, Vaughan, Howard
I looked at and drove a 16hp Cub loboy, 1953, today, which is for sale.

Both reverse and 1st gear make noticeable gear noise. 2nd and 3rd gears don't do this at all. Is the gear growling in low gears normal for these units? Owner says he's had it 35 years and "it's always been like that".

Other than that, works fine, smoked a bit on start up but I put my fingers over the tail pipe for 30 seconds and they did not come up oily.

Has stock front blade, disc and plow. He wants $1500. Still on 6 volt.

Good deal?

Other advice when looking at one of these old cubs? Things to look for?

JG

/ 53 IH Cub lo boy I'm looking at- need advice #2  
1st off the reason you haven't got any responses is because this is the wrong site for antique tractor questions. You'll have pages of replies in a few hours on Farmallcub.com.
As for the first/reverse growl ....they all do that totally normal.
Still on 6V.....should stay that way absolutely nothing wrong with 6V. Actually thats a very good sign somebody hasn't screwed up the tractor yet with bogus 12V mods ruining sheetmetal in the process.
The smoke....hard to say without more info. With the underslung exhaust of a LB oil may not make it all the way to the back. However most likely it has the wrong size jet or someone messed with it. Best way to tell is to run the tractor till good and warm and do a plug check. If its spittin oil it will show on the plugs.
There are many quick things to look for on a Cub but assuming the list is all good 1500.00 with what you describe is a fair and reasonable price. Over at the other site they can steer you in the right direction.

/ 53 IH Cub lo boy I'm looking at- need advice #3  
watch for cracks on the engine block corners , I had one years ago that had a crack near the front and it would leak engine oil,

/ 53 IH Cub lo boy I'm looking at- need advice #4  
Ear cracks are common and a good thing to check for along with finals previously busted and brazed. Also look at all the mount threads on finals and torque tube. Steering casting in another place that gets broke and jury rigged and steering arms. They can be bent, welded, are just plain wore out. Cubs are good tractors but the list of common problems they have is long.