IH 2444 stopped running

/ IH 2444 stopped running #1  

jezorek

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1910 w/1710 FEL
I redently bought a 2444 with a Kubota 3pth backhoe. I operated the backhoe and tractor before I purchased it and both ran OK. When I got it home I did some digging for about an hour without any problems. Later I started to dig again and the tractor started to run rough when under load. I suspected a clogged fuel filter. After installing a new inline filter, the tractor started and died twice and then would not start. I noticed a lot of raw gas coming out of the carb. I took the carb apart and was surprised how clean it was. The float was OK and the needle and seat looked OK. I put it back together but the engine would not start and it leaked gas.
A rebuild kit is not offered for the Zenith carb and only individual parts are available from my dealer. I ordered a needle and seat but it hasn't arrived yet. If the new needle and seat doesn't fix the problem, anyone care to speculate on what else could be wrong?

/ IH 2444 stopped running #2  
Any chance the float sank? Sometimes they get a pinhole at the soldered seam. Shake the float to see if you can feel/hear gas inside it... If it's dry on the outside, shaking it will show you where the hole is, if there is one.

I know when they first brought out unleaded gas, we had a time getting floats set, because of the specific gravity difference. And if you're using gas with alcohol added, it may make a difference too.

/ IH 2444 stopped running
I should have mentioned that I checked the float. It is OK. I don't know if the gas in the tank has alcohol but that is what it was running on when it stopped.

/ IH 2444 stopped running #4  
Did you try raising the float, with the bowl off, and see if the needle valve is shutting the gas off? It may be the little tab needs bent a tad. Or in other words adjust the float, to shut it off. If you have a manual for it, it should tell you what to set it at.

/ IH 2444 stopped running #5  
I'm surprised you can't get a rebuild kit for the carb. My 404 has a Zenith and I got a kit for it from the local auto parts store that my son runs.