Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems

/ Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems #1  

matt21

Bronze Member
I have a Case 1494 with a powershift trans. The remotes and 3 point work ok when I first start it up, but after about 10 minutes they start to fade away, especially under load. The powershift isn't working properly either. 1st and 3rd work ok but 2nd and 4th don't work, but I can feel it trying to work. I just changed the fluid and filter and cleaned the screens. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

/ Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems #2  
One of two problems.
1. Worn hydraulic pump.
2. Massive internal leak in the transmission circuit, causing the priority valve to steal most of the pump flow for transmission function.

My guess is #2, as you have transmission problems even when the auxiliary flow is decent.

/ Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems #3  
My guess is #3:

Leak on the suction/return side of the system since you said you just serviced it...The fluid is probably foaming. Check the filter and cover to the screen carefully.

/ Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems #4  
My guess is #3:

Leak on the suction/return side of the system since you said you just serviced it...The fluid is probably foaming. Check the filter and cover to the screen carefully.

I guess we need clarification of whether the problems existed prior to servicing the oil & filter. I read it one way, Kenny read it another.

/ Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems #5  
I have a Case 1494 with a powershift trans. The remotes and 3 point work ok when I first start it up, but after about 10 minutes they start to fade away, especially under load. The powershift isn't working properly either. 1st and 3rd work ok but 2nd and 4th don't work, but I can feel it trying to work. I just changed the fluid and filter and cleaned the screens. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Have to agree with Rick on this one...had the same problem...transmission circuit was bypassing. New seal time.

/ Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems #6  
I guess we need clarification of whether the problems existed prior to servicing the oil & filter. I read it one way, Kenny read it another.

Good point...

/ Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems
The problems existed before the fluid and filter change. I've never been inside the hydraulics on a tractor before so what is inside that could be leaking? I forgot to add that it has a sunstrand tandem front pump for remotes and 3 pt. and the powershift has it's own pump. I'm sure everyone already figured that but I thought it might help. Thanks everyone for all the replys.

Last edited:
   / Case 1494 Hydraulic Problems
I checked again the other day and when it's running i can take the fill cap off and hear a noise. Almost like it's pulsing. And the fluid is foaming.