International 990 haybine

/ International 990 haybine #1  

Yooper350

Found a international 990 haybine today on my way home from work. Cosmetically its average but the sheet metal is in decent shape. Sickle looks good, looks to have been greased well and sprockets looked brand new. Crimper rollers were average, they were asking $800, is that a fair price? Anything else anyone can tell me about the haybine, strengths, weaknesses, likes, dislikes? My concern is that its only a 7 foot cut and I have about 45 acres of hay to make this year. Thanks

/ International 990 haybine #2  
That is a very fair price. If the crimp rollers are good, wobble box seems ok, drivebelts in tact, rock guards and sickle look good. It would be a plus if it had the Hydraulic cylinder to go with it. You could be looking at $150+ to add that if it is not on it. Ken Sweet

/ International 990 haybine
It does have the cylinder on it, it even looks like the hydraulic fittings might fit my JD which has a rare fitting. It must be a sign :laughing: I'll have to check the wobble box and I think the drive belts were fine (don't remember). I'll take another good look in a day or two.

/ International 990 haybine #4  
It is good to take someone with you to check the wobble box. 1 needs to have a short steel rod to turn the tractor end of the pto very slightly back and forth while you watch for play in the wobble box area. Ken Sweet

/ International 990 haybine #5  
If it is in decent shape that is a great price. Just so you know what you are getting in to. To replace the drive belts--around $200to $230. If it has a steel top roll and a rubber bottom -- as long as they look oh they shouldbe. You really can't kill the rolls on that machine. The rubber roll is solid rubber not a laminate on a steel core.

Take a good look at the drive box at the end of the PTO shaft, make sure there are no cracks.

Most of the mechanical parts are still available thru CNH. Sheet metal and some parts hve been retired, so a salvage yard is the only option.

Oh yea take a look at the shoes under the mower. Ther should be two. Look at how thin they are. Those bad boys are $179.00 each. Good thing I have access to a fab shop. ;)