384 IH won't start?

/ 384 IH won't start? #1  

scooter001

I had just changed oil, fuel, and air filters. Then I bled the fuel system,as per my 384 shop manual and she fired right up. So I went back to brush hogging the back forty and ran into a hidden car tire,[no rim] seemed that there was no damage, but traveled 25 feet or so and lost all power. Dead on the restart, so re-primed to make sure it wasn't a fuel problem and still nothing, not even a puff of black smoke? Any advise would be great...thanks, Scott:confused2:

/ 384 IH won't start? #2  
I had just changed oil, fuel, and air filters. Then I bled the fuel system,as per my 384 shop manual and she fired right up. So I went back to brush hogging the back forty and ran into a hidden car tire,[no rim] seemed that there was no damage, but traveled 25 feet or so and lost all power. Dead on the restart, so re-primed to make sure it wasn't a fuel problem and still nothing, not even a puff of black smoke? Any advise would be great...thanks, Scott:confused2:

If it is getting fuel, it should be smoking some? We prime with starting fluid VERY CAREFULLY and sparingly sometime to get a restart. Ken Sweet

/ 384 IH won't start?
Hi Ken, I have primed once thru to one injector and appears to be getting fuel, could there be something electrical that would kill the engine in motion? It's like there is no spark? Thank Scott:confused:

/ 384 IH won't start? #4  
Hi Ken, I have primed once thru to one injector and appears to be getting fuel, could there be something electrical that would kill the engine in motion? It's like there is no spark? Thank Scott:confused:

If it is a diesel, It won't have a spark. They fire off compression. Did you take the line off the far end injector and prime it till fuel comes out? I bet there is air in there. Ken Sweet

/ 384 IH won't start?
Hey Ken, I will try priming again. Thanks again Scott

/ 384 IH won't start? #6  
Scott I have a 384. If you have a manual loosen the proper nuts on the injection pump making sure fuel comes out good. Then loosen one the nuts the injectors, which ever is the easiest to get to. If the fuel is flowing good at the pump, you will have a lot of fuel pressure at the injectors when you are cranking the engine. Make sure fuel is coming out good at the injector nut that you loosened. Once it starts tighten the nut back up and you should be running. Make sure you don"t have the fuel cutoff lever under the key switch pulled out or it won"t start. Good luck, Tom