Default Adjusting clutch

I have recently come to own a 1989 Case IH 385. I am confused in looking at Operator's Manual as to how or even if the clutch needs to be adjusted. The manual states to lift up on the clutch pedal and if lift is less than an inch then adjust to various measurements. Does this mean to lift from the at rest position? Or the amount of lift before the tractor moves when in gear? My concern is that the travel in the pedal from rest to engaged is a long press. Also the tractor moves only when I am on the last inch or so from the top. I noticed that the safety swith is backed almost all of the way back so the pedal has to be at the bottom of cycle before switch is engaged.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case-International 385

Default Re: Adjusting clutch

I have a 385. I think the 1 inch lift is referring to lifting it from the rest position. As your clutch plate wears, the pedal will rise because the throwout bearing runs on the clutch fingers all the time. I think the easiest way to get the adjustment is to measure the pedal height to the footrest (6 5/16"). I didn't like the idea of the constant contact throwout bearing so I made a modification to get free play in the clutch linkage. Hopefully a picture is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -clutchsmall-jpg