IH 886 hydraulic

/ IH 886 hydraulic #1  

cjfling

Silver Member
Started the old ~1978 886 a couple days ago and went to get some stuff. When I came back, I found a large puddle (~ a gallon) of hydraulic oil on the ground under the firewall area of the tractor. The oil was dripping from several parts of the undercarriage. I turned off the motor, put out buckets to catch the remaining leaking oil, and then worked the hydraulic devices on the tractor to relieve any pressure. I looked around to identify the location of the leak, couldn't find much with the hood still on, but noticed it was mainly around both sides of the firewall. The inside of the instrument panel even got a good soaking. After getting the hood off and the instrument panel apart, I couldn't really find a source. I checked all the fitting, hoses, and etc. in the area but could only narrow it down to around the engine side of the firewall. The only applicable thing in that area is the steering hand pump. I checked the fluid levels and topped them off and cranked it up. Now, nothing is leaking and I have since shredded for about 5 hours without any problem. Wondering if there is some sort of relief value in the steering that could have released the fluid? I can't see anything else in the firewall area that should have leaked enough fluid to get through the hole in the firewall and coat the backside of the instrument panel. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
   / IH 886 hydraulic #2  
Got to love a leak like that!!!!!

I'd think that it would more then likely have to be the steering hand pump seal on it's way out. I't about the only thing that could put oil on both sides of that panel.

/ IH 886 hydraulic
Do you know if the seal is something I can replace or does the pump have to be sent in to be rebuilt? I realize you don't know my mechanical skill level, but I can do moderate mechanical work (brakes, alternator, water pump, etc.). Does it require special tools? I do have copies of the smaller (condensed) repair manual for the tractor. I believe it has exploded views of the pump, but no instructions for dis-assembly.