ih 1066

/ ih 1066 #1  

whodat526

Veteran Member
Tractor
fords
i have a 1066 and it will only move when u first start the tractor and will go about 50 feet and quit moving does anybody have any idea what could be the problem and when it quits moving the steering quits working also

/ ih 1066
thats is what I thought it was going to be is there anyway to just remove the ta and put it back together and make it work i know u can pull the daulpower out of a ford and put a regular input shaft and tube back in it and it work just never been inside a 1066 cause have had anytrouble with it

/ ih 1066 #4  
There are many other parts here to consider when doing a TA job right.

One of the reasons they might fail would be a control valve not acting properly.

The pump that feeds them have also cause one to fail just from operating the tractor with a weak pump.

You can change out the housings and go to a direct drive if you choose to do that.

/ ih 1066
Which would be the cheaper route to take the ta completly out or rebuild it i have one with the ta and one without it and i really dont need the ta for what the tractor is used for

/ ih 1066 #6  
Looking at HyCapacity's online catalog, a TA elimination kit with mainshaft runs nearly as much as the lowest price TA kits. You are going to spend a grand on parts to replace or remove the TA and go through the multiple control valve properly. If you do the main clutch and IPTO shaft/gear because you are there and they are marginal, the cost goes up even more. There's no cheap way to fix a TA.

Hy-Capacity: PARTS - MAIN

/ ih 1066
Looking at HyCapacity's online catalog, a TA elimination kit with mainshaft runs nearly as much as the lowest price TA kits. You are going to spend a grand on parts to replace or remove the TA and go through the multiple control valve properly. If you do the main clutch and IPTO shaft/gear because you are there and they are marginal, the cost goes up even more. There's no cheap way to fix a TA.

Hy-Capacity: PARTS - MAIN

I am a used tractor trader and i have a account with hycap. so i can get them at whole sale but just didn't know they had the parts and if i get the ta elimination kit is that all i will need beside a new engine clutch because like u say while your there u should change it and what is the multiple control valve because i have never worked on any ta's just some dual powers in some fords and this is my personal tractor so i wont to do it right

/ ih 1066 #8  
If it were mine, I'd replace the TA, especially if I bought the parts @ wholesale. Look at the difference between a TA and the elimination kit and decide for yourself. The difference will come back in resale value somewhere down the road. The multiple control valve directs oil flow from a small hydraulic pump to the TA, steering and brakes. HyCap has a gasket and seal kit for the assembly. You should invest in an I&T manual at least before diving in.

Hy Capacity was started by ex-IH guys and originally supplied IH TA's and clutch, tranny parts. All the other stuff they offer now came along later.

/ ih 1066
I am getting a shop manual on it before i tear into it i dont wont to have to go in there but once

/ ih 1066 #10  
I hate to ask stupid questions, but how many hours on the tractor, and have you checked the hydraulic fluid level? When was the last time the hydraulic filter was changed? Personally my 1066 sometimes gets air bound on the MCV pump when I change the filter. It just takes running time to get the fluid going and the air out of the system. TA's are usually good for 5000 to 8000 hours depending on how hard the tractor was used. Generally speaking when TA's fail they stay in direct mode, or the high side. You need the MCV (multiple controll valve) to get the low side to work. If you are also loosing sterring and brakes, but the engine is still running, I would be leaning toward the pump for the MCV, or the MCV it self. Have you checked the pressure at the MCV? The procedure it in the IT manual.

Check around in your area, there may be a good shop to help with the TA. Some of the guys around here will let you bring them the complete center section (section with the speed trans and the TA) and do the hard part for you in their shop. The center section has to be verticle to get the unit in and out.

One other thing to consider, hardly anybody looking to by a Farmall ever wants one with out a TA, so the generally bring 1-2 K less at resale.