D25 wont pull itself

/ D25 wont pull itself #1  

hillbillyboob

I have a problem with my little D25. It wont hardly pull itself. The motor seems to be running fine, so I have dismissed problems with the fuel, but it wont even take off in high range, and if I am going up any kind of grade, I have to gear down to low range and then its just a crawl.....I fear that the clutch is going out, but I am hoping that it can be remedied by a simple adjustment of the clutch linkage....anyone have any suggestions?....

/ D25 wont pull itself #2  
When it slows down, does the engine also slow down? Classic test for slipping clutch is to put front end to an immovable object, put machine in high gear and try to move. If machine stalls, clutch is probably good. If machine does not stall, clutch/transmission is the trouble.
Mike

/ D25 wont pull itself
no the engine is holding its RPM's....its just like the power is not getting transferred to the rear end.

/ D25 wont pull itself #4  
I would suggest taking a look at the clutch. If the engine maintains it's RPM but the tractor slows down, something has to be slipping somewhere. If it's a gear driven transmission, the only real place for slippage is in the clutch. Everything else is solid mechanical connection. If it's a hydro tractor, it could be that the pump is getting weak.

/ D25 wont pull itself #5  
You have to have "free play" in your clutch linkage. If you don't feel a slack spot before the pedal gets harder to move as it disengages the clutch, you probably need an adjustment. However, if the tractor is operated in htis condition too long teh coninued slippage will burn up the clutch enough that an adjustment won't help. Another indication of this is the clutch will engage, or start to move the tractor, at the very top of the pedal travel. It should begin to engage closer to the bottom of the travel.

/ D25 wont pull itself #6  
Never forget to bring a leg from clutch pedal while driving with any gear engaged, otherwise it'll quickly become burnt out :)

/ D25 wont pull itself #7  
Something else to consider with a clutch. Clutches don't wear the same way that brakes do. Clutches are worns out when they lose their ability to create friction. As opposed to brake pads wearing down, think of your clutch disc as a sheet of sandpaper. If you use it too hard or too much, you'll eventually wear the sand off, which causes it not to grip any longer.

When a clutch starts to slip, it starts to glaze over, thus making it smooth. Smooth unfortunately does not grip. Glazing makes it slip, generating heat, making it glaze more, making it slip, making heat, making it glaze...etc.

Have you found anything out on it y