Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #1  

eastexan

Gold Member
Tractor
Case-International
Last summer, I bought a yellow CaseIH 385 that belonged to the county. The tractor runs great, but don't want to run it much until I get the dash wiring fixed.

None of the gauges and idiot lights work except the alternator light. I check the OP with a manual gauge once in a while (70lbs), and have to check the fuel level with a stick. And I have to watch for signs of overheating while running it.
I'm tired of doing all that, and now that the Texas heat is over, I've decided to fix a few of its problems. The wiring being the main one.

The headlights have been spliced to stay on all the time.
The fuse box only has one fuse in it (slowblow) and the other spaces are dead. Also, the little fuse box diagram plate to one side of the fuse box is illegible.

I have an owners manual, and a I&T repair manual, but they don't show any wiring diagram or even the fuse box diagram.

Would any of you have a wiring diagram? I think other model tractors might have the same wiring set-up.
Even the fuse box diagram alone would help.

Thanks in advance.

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #2  
I too have a case Ih 585 with deluxe cab, the red light is on for the alternator and my fuel gauge works but the radio and fan for ac and other accessories do not work. If I find out what is wrong Ill try and post a reply to your question. I think they are good tractors but there arent a lot of them in this country. John

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #3  
I too have a case Ih 585 with deluxe cab, the red light is on for the alternator and my fuel gauge works but the radio and fan for ac and other accessories do not work. If I find out what is wrong Ill try and post a reply to your question. I think they are good tractors but there arent a lot of them in this country. John

Looks like I'm a couple years late on this one but thought I would post this anyways. My 585 had exactly the same problem as above, after quite a bit of troubleshooting it came down to a $20.00 breaker on the engine side of the firewall that takes 5 minutes to swap out.
Hope this helps someone along the way.

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #4  
Hi I too have a similar problem with my dash lights were is the breaker on a 585 please

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #5  
Here's a great resource Official Case IH Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Parts Search and Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts look up 585 and go to
4-142 Electrics, Cab Bulkhead. It shows the circuit breaker as part # 26. This is a great parts manual as you can zoom in or out and if you sign up with a dealer online pricing is available. I purchased the breaker from a local dealership. The schematic shows exactly where the part is located.
Good luck.
Here's the part details.
BREAKER circuit, 30 amp, Includes: Ref. 27
Product No: 403069R1
Price: $14.48

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #6  
That circuit breaker looks to be the same type used on my case backhoe. You can get the at your local auto parts place for a lot less..!!

Advance Auto parts has a 30 amp for $2.99. My hoe needed a 20 amp. Got a Buss brand for like $3.29.

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #7  
Hi Hartman and DJ you obviously have better suppliers that the UK I have now contacted four suppliers quoting the Hella no on the part . no one can supply but will keep trying Thanks again Derek

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #8  
Sorry delchip, didn't realize you were in the UK. But here is a link to one of our area auto suppliers, with the circuit breaker, and price. Buy Bussmann Circuit Breaker BP/CBC-30HB-RP at Advance Auto Parts

I'm not sure if they ship internationally, but I have ordered inline diodes from the UK, and it was surprisingly cheap. $5.00, for 5 diodes in a small/medium envelope, via airmail.

Another idea may be to just ask for a 30 amp circuit breaker, with mounting bracket.

The breaker on my hoe was a 20 amp identical to this. It was almost $18.00 through Case Construction parts dealer. As you see, $3.49 at the auto parts store...

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #9  
We had a 584 and a 585, both had little functioning electrics left on them. We bypassed most important things into self reseting circuit breakers. Fuel gauges never worked so we would fill at the start of every day. The headlights on one worked but caused all the dashlights to come on when used.

/ Case-IH 385 Dash Wiring Jumbled Up Mess #10  
Hi all thanks for all your advise I have now traced the fault a rusted end to fuse!!!!!