Brakes on a 574 international tractor

/ Brakes on a 574 international tractor #11  
clamp the return line to oil cooler .get plastic tubing and place on bleeders on both sides and place them to run in fill hole for hydraulic.start pumping left brake pedal and you will see air in clear tubing and when you get all the air out turn bleeder in and go to the right side and repeat process.then hook both pedals together and repeat process.when all air is out take clamp off the return line and you are good to go.hope that helps you.let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
   / Brakes on a 574 international tractor #12  
Deerseeker001: Followed your instructions - and was not able to get the brakes to work. Borrowed a vacuum bleeder and about 10 minutes in, was still pulling a lot of air and a tiny amount of fluid. Traced the hydraulic lines (and using the schematic provided earlier in this post) learned that there was no oil going through the oil cooler. Read some other posts (searching on "no oil flow through the oil cooler IH 574"). Learned that the likely culprit is the PTO valve/circuit on the MCB. When the PTO is engaged, oil flows through the oil cooler. When the PTO is disengaged, no oil flow. Was able to then successfully bleed the brakes - so if there is oil flow (PTO engaged), the entire brake system works GREAT. Not sure how long the brakes will keep working with the PTO off (so, this is a temporary fix, running the PTO). Any suggestions as to what this means and what thing(s) need to happen to resolve this?

/ Brakes on a 574 international tractor #13  
iam not sure what to tell you on that one when i did my breaks i did not have the pto in gaged.its been 1-2 years and brakes are good.

/ Brakes on a 574 international tractor #14  
Does anyone have information on how to properly adjust the PTO fork (on top of the MCB)? I've read so much informaton (researching the brake problem) but, I have not found any specific PTO linkage adjustment information. Some information suggested that if PTO linkage is out of adjustment, that (in the off positon) the oil bypasses the oil cooler thus no oil flow for the brakes. Might be a long shot, but...

/ Brakes on a 574 international tractor #15  
I clamped the return line and attached hose on left side and pumped and pumped(motor running @1500 rpm)and the fluid would not get any higher in hose than the same highth of bleeding valve?? Does this mean master is bad??? Fluid will just pour out of bleeding valve with hose off and motor running.. Have not been able to crack open right side bleeding valve yet...

/ Brakes on a 574 international tractor #17  
You must clamp oilreturnline to gearboxcasing just below keepfill reservoir run engine at 1500 rpm and then bleed brakes