Carb float setting

/ Carb float setting #1  

BoonvilleKid

Tractor
Farmall Super C, Farmall Super C, Farmall Super C, John Deere 955, John Deere 955
I'm overhauling a 1954 Farmall Super C carb. It's a Zenith 8-04 #12911 385608R91. I cannot find any literature on setting the float travel distance. Can somebody tell me where I can find that dimension?

/ Carb float setting #2  
The setting is 1-5/32".

I've attached a multitude of specs, and that is included just below half way down the page.

You should be able to print this page for later reference, for..., whatever...

Also for maybe some that have never done this, and want to, I've attached a picture of what/where to measure.

Hope this helps..!!

Attachments

• Super C Capacities.jpg
    Super C Capacities.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 2,336
  • Setting Float.bmp
    167.8 KB · Views: 9,326
   / Carb float setting #3  
I've never done this on a tractor carburetor before, but a trick I've used on my motorcycles to make sure the float is operating correctly and to set the actual fuel level, rather than the float height, is to connect a piece of clear tubing to the drain of the carburetor. Even just jamming and kind of threading it in works fine.

Run it above the level of the float bowl, and turn the fuel on. If you know the correct fuel level (in this case you could measure it from the diagram given) you can compare where the fuel sits in the clear tube to the bottom of the carburetor, and have a precise and accurate measurement of the fuel level, at any given time, even, if you've got it set up safely, when the machine is in operation.

On carburetors that have sat for a long time or are suspicious, sometimes the float level is set to specification, but it is unknown whether the float works properly, or the valve is jamming, or leaking, or not flowing sufficiently under load. This method gives you a way to check what you're really interested in, the fuel level. Good luck on your restoration!

/ Carb float setting #4  
Back when they did away with leaded fuel at the pump, there were some that had float setting problems, because of the specific gravity difference. Most just kept tweeking until they found that sweet spot...

I'm thinking a barbed adapter fitting to fit he carb drain would be just the berries..!!

Now to store this in the back of my memory, and remember it, if I ever need it..!!

Thanks..!!

/ Carb float setting
Thanks (again) for the information, DJ54. Especially the diagram. I'm sure I would not have thought to include the thickness of the gasket.
Let's see........5/32 is a bunch of those little, bitty marks, isn't it?

The plastic tube is a great idea, unfortunately one has to take the carb. apart in order to make an adjustment. Why didn't they make carb.s with an external adjustment to the float like they did for the jets? Makes sense to me.

/ Carb float setting #6  
You're right, it IS a pain to have to pull the carburetor off to make any adjustments, but the tip I shared lets you check the fuel height without having to disassemble anything at all! If there's no adjustment needed, then you aren't out much time. If you need to make an adjustment you're stuck pulling the bowl, but you may not need to pull it apart or even off the tractor. I know you said that you are overhauling your Farmall, but the trick works on or off the motor. Good luck!