Backhoe case 580c year 1979

/ case 580c year 1979 #1  

tdibar

Tractor
Case 580C
I need help. Well, thats what my wife tells me anyway. I just bought this backhoe in the fall. I'm totally green on this stuff. bought it to do some work around the place. You might say that he forgot to kiss me first.
My problem is that when I put it drive wether first or second gear, By the way its a power shuttle. It goes fine as long it is on level ground. If I have to go on any kind of incline it struggles real bad. first gear it hardly moves, 2nd gear if I give it the gas it goes.but slowly. Changed the trans fluid 3 times. The level is up there. Do you think I have clutch problems? I did see a bad oil leak around the solonoid, Could this have something to do with it? The RPM gauge was disconnected years ago. The wiring is a mess. But I'm gaining on that. The work has to be done by me. cant afford otherwise. The plus side is the hydrolics work good, all pins are tight, digs good, the bucket good too. A little leak by the vale body. And no play on the hoe when moving side toside. Its foot operated for side movement. Thats it. I'm in your hands.
Thank You

/ case 580c year 1979 #2  
You may try posting this on down in the construction eq. thread... Or go to this site and join. I've gotten lots of good info from both. Seems to me though I do remember similar problms on the B's, and had to do with cleaning the filter screen, or filter on the shuttle part, but don't hold me to that.

Heavy Equipment Forums

If you need parts, especially brake parts, and don't mind aftermarket parts, check these guys out. Right now you can see if they stock your parts needed, but then need to call for prices. It IS worth the call..!!
They are in the process of setting up a "order online" set up, but will be a while. Again, check for prices online, then call these guys... Well worth it..!!

If you do call here, ask for Bill, and tell him "Dave from Carroll" referred you to him...

Remanufactured Transmissions, Torque Converters, Engines - Joseph Industries

And did you know you can go to Case Construction online, and find a parts display for your machine..?? It's been a big help to me. You can check prices in their online store, or copy and paste the part number, and do like a Google search. A handy site to save to your favorites.

CASE

Put your cursor on "Parts and Service", then click on "search for parts", that appears below, and navigate from there.

I just bought a 480C, and going over the knick-knack stuff myself...

Good luck..!!

/ case 580c year 1979
Thank you for the responce. To DJ54 the only screen I saw was in the bottom of the oil pan of the shuttle body. Is there another one someplace ?
To MikeD74T I guess If I have a leak at the solonoid area, I wouldn"t doubt there would be more problems inside. You mentioned the tork converter, Dont understand its operation. I noticed that in this cold weather even after I let it warm up 1/2 hour. On level ground too. I shift the shuttle in forward and goes nowhere. Have to go forward and backwards a couple times to get it moving just a few feet, Eventually it runs Ok. Is this related to the same problem ?

/ case 580c year 1979 #5  
I'm kind of in the learning process here myself. But I have no problem with my 480C in that respect. As Mike pointed out, it may be one of those items he mentioned. In other threads & forums, I've seen some answer on the B series, it may be a plugged filter. I looked on the Case Construction site, and all I saw was the screen too..., so I dunno'.

I know one fellow mentioned about his B series, that after a half-hour it was OK..., just the nature of them some said... Then another fellow said his ran for a couple hours, and still would not move. That's when some suggested about a filter, and the items Mike mentioned.

That is the one thing I made sure of on my 480. It was cold that day, and from a cold start (I felt the block) it moved OK.

/ case 580c year 1979 #6  
I need help. Well, thats what my wife tells me anyway. I just bought this backhoe in the fall. I'm totally green on this stuff. bought it to do some work around the place. You might say that he forgot to kiss me first.
My problem is that when I put it drive wether first or second gear, By the way its a power shuttle. It goes fine as long it is on level ground. If I have to go on any kind of incline it struggles real bad. first gear it hardly moves, 2nd gear if I give it the gas it goes.but slowly. Changed the trans fluid 3 times. The level is up there. Do you think I have clutch problems? I did see a bad oil leak around the solonoid, Could this have something to do with it? The RPM gauge was disconnected years ago. The wiring is a mess. But I'm gaining on that. The work has to be done by me. cant afford otherwise. The plus side is the hydrolics work good, all pins are tight, digs good, the bucket good too. A little leak by the vale body. And no play on the hoe when moving side toside. Its foot operated for side movement. Thats it. I'm in your hands.
Thank You

I've never been inside the trans, but I've sure spent my time running them. From what you have described, I'm guessing that once you get the trans issue worked out you'll have a great machine. Keep us posted on what you find.

/ case 580c year 1979 #7  
TDIBAR, A torque converter is a hydraulic clutch, essentially turbine blades in a sealed oil filled chamber. Engine driven blades push oil against more blades attached to the output shaft. Picture a fan pushing air toward a windmill. Over time blade clearances increase, fluid leaks, etc reducing the efficiency, therefore the output, of the torque converter. This is the clutch function for nearly all automatic transmissions.

You didn't say whether you have a conventional dry clutch. If the condition is present all the time , and you have a dry clutch, it may be just plain wore out. That's a time consuming but not complex fix. Can you shift the shuttle at rest without depressing a peddle? If you can then you probably have torque convertor.

Am not a 580 expert so don't know your shuttle but my CK (with torque converter) has a hydraulic block on top of the "clutch" housing in front of the steering column. It's a two valve setup that reverses flow similar to FEL control valve. Has forward, neutral, reverse positions. Internal leakage or linkage misadjustment will cause motion problems. I know newer (than mine) Cases have emergency stop solenoids, likewise leakage of that solenoid will cause motion problems. Good luck with your troubleshooting. MikeD74T

/ case 580c year 1979
Eh guys , I can't thank you enuf for the help you"ve giving me . I will do as said and see whats going on. Yes I do have a tork conrter for sure. I saw the bell housing, when changing the oil. I have to wait till the weather breaks a little. In Pa. lots of snow and no garage. I will let guys know on how I make out.
Thank God theres guys like you to help people like me that dont know anything.

/ case 580c year 1979 #9  
Eh guys , I can't thank you enuf for the help you"ve giving me . I will do as said and see whats going on. Yes I do have a tork conrter for sure. I saw the bell housing, when changing the oil. I have to wait till the weather breaks a little. In Pa. lots of snow and no garage. I will let guys know on how I make out.
Thank God theres guys like you to help people like me that dont know anything.

That's one of the great things about TBN...

...most anyone will go out of their way to help out if they can.

/ case 580c year 1979
You know While I'm waiting for better weather to start working on this project. I've taken some time and read other threads submitted by different people to TBN. I have to tell all you guys, Thats its privilage for me to be at TBN. It feels like a close family that we help each other. Thank you . I hope that at some point in time I'm able to reciprocate. Tony