Grading 1086 tractor

/ 1086 tractor #1  

Missouri

Tractor
IH 1086, John Deere 3020, Farmall 460
Can anyone tell me how wide the rear wheels on my IH 1086 should be spaced when baling hay? I have bought an 856 hesston baler with the wide pickup. I also need an owners manual for both pieces of equipment.

Thanks, Ron

/ 1086 tractor #2  
The width that matters more than the baler is the width of your cutter. Set your wheels wide enough for your discbine and they will be fine for the baler. Do you have the tool for getting the wedges loose on the axle? That is a real tough one if it has not ever been apart.

/ 1086 tractor #3  
We've never set up a tractor width specifically for baling hay.

We do set them up for plowing and the normal is 28" on the inside with 30" maximum from the center of the tractor to the inside of the tire on the typical 38" tires.

To go much wider also makes it more difficult to haul on a truck or trailer because of the outside width.

/ 1086 tractor #4  
I have noticed on a small square baler you can be set too wide and be driving in the windrow.

/ 1086 tractor #5  
To set them out wide you might want to be sure that you have the wedge lok hubs and not the clamp on.

/ 1086 tractor #6  
Tractors around here are set for 30" rows and are used for bailing with out making changes. I would think wider would have you running over your wind rows.

Dan

/ 1086 tractor #7  
If you do any mold board plowing or working in corn rows that will dictate the wheel width more than a baler.

I have used tractors that where set for 30" and 38" rows with no problems.

Roy