New to Case, question about 224

/ New to Case, question about 224 #1  

poldies4

Silver Member
Tractor
B 2320
Hello all, hopefully this is an easy one. My bil has recently purchased a late 70's? 224. Very cool tractor, ran great until it broke.:( We were installing the snowblower for the first time, and of course here in MI we only get about three hours of daylight in the winter....at any rate I thought it would be cool to hook up the lights. The dangling wire that went to the round light someone had mounted to the hood. The next thing I know the back of the ignition box is glowing reddish and smoking. #%it, I pulled the wire loose and after the smoke cleared the engine was purring. Whew, but the next time he went to start it the battery was dead. I fugured we (I) fried the battery with the attempt at hooking up the lights. He jumps it a few times, but now the key is difficult to turn. So the ignition is shot and my bil decides to use the old screwdriver to the starter trick. I think he toasted the starter. Should he replace the starter, then trace the wiring issue? Is the starter for the 222 the same as the 224? Anybody know a good source for used parts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.