DX55 Oil filter alternate???

/ DX55 Oil filter alternate??? #1  

agford4x4

Silver Member
Tractor
Case DX55
Can I use a Bosch 3330 oil filter in place of a 87409203 CaseIH filter? In the store, the tractor crossed to it, but that number does not cross to the same WIX filter that the 3330 filter crosses too although they seem to have similar specs.

Any reason I can't use the 3330 filter? Its the same thread and pitch, nearly identical dimensions side by side. THe only difference is that the bosch cross references to a WIX filter that has a smaller micron rating, which is good.

The bosch is about 6 bucks, the wix case equivalent is 18 bucks, the case is 10-14 bucks but I have to order online and pay shipping.

Is this OK? Its probably a better filter to be quite honest, but I wanted your opinions.

/ DX55 Oil filter alternate??? #2  
I am going to assume no one knows the answer to my original post, so, in hopes of helping someone else out with a CaseIH DX48, DX55, DX60 or any other tractor or equipment that may use a Shibaura Model N844LT engine, here is what I found for oil filters for this tractor.

Part Numbers

87409203 (Case, current part number)
LF16011 (FleetGaurd equivalent of above)
57181 (Wix equivalent of above)

Commonized part for Case and New Holland = 87415600
51348 (Wix equivalent of above)

OLD Case part numbers for this same engine:

86402050 (case, old part number superceded by 87409203)
51521 (Wix Equivalent of above)

The above also seem to match:

86546618 (New Holland part number)
LF3795 (Fleetgaurd equivalent of above)

The dealer parts people have told me that any of these are acceptable filters.

The major differences (according to wix, not CaseIH, NH) are that the Current Case part number is a 28 micron filter...all others listed here are 19 or 21 micron I believe. The other major difference is that the OLD case part number and its equivalents (including the new holland and fleet guard LF3795) are LARGER filters, physically, so they may not fit your particular application due to clearance issues. For my tractor, there is no problem. The other difference is price. The NEW case part number is a 18-20 dollar filter, ALL of the rest can be had for less than 11 bucks or so.

So, there you go.

All of these have the same threads and pitch and will screw on and filter with no issues.

Why Case switched to a smaller filter with larger micron size and more expense, I do not know.

Hope this helps some people.

Oh...and the Bosch 3330 filter is an equivalent of the 87415600 commonized filter if I recall correctly.

If you go to the Wix filter site, you can punch any of these numbers in and get the wix equivalent, including a wix number. It will cross to itself but its a handy reference to see what is matching what.

The 'larger' filter is the one called for on the DX60 tractor, which is the exactly same engine as the DX55 and DX48. Its a bigger filter, more capacity, smaller micron opening so it filters smaller particles, AND its cheaper than the one the DX55 calls for, more than 50% cheaper. If its good enough for the DX60, its good enough for the 55 or 48.

/ DX55 Oil filter alternate??? #3  
I order my WIX filters through Fleet filter in Texas... Even with shipping, it's way less then through the local NAPA. Prime example was a complete filter change on my Case 480C hoe. Through the local NAPA, it was going to cost right at $135.00 + tax. Got them all through Fleet filter for $75.00 + plus some change, and about $10.00 shipping. Normally here to Ohio in 5 to 7 days. This time it was closer to 10 days, as I ordered them just as the big snow storms were hitting the South-West, and were heading this way. So I can't complain about that...

Here is a link to their site, showing your filter, and price. Hope it works...

OOPS..., it didn't work... Just type your WIX filter number in the top left...

Wix & Napa Filters & Accessories: FleetFilter Secure Online Store

Last edited:
   / DX55 Oil filter alternate??? #4  
it depends on what the dif in micron rating is. most full flow filters are 15-25 micron. if thats what yours is dont put a 5-2 micron on its not a full flow, its a part flow filter. also check to see if its by pass valve is the same. allso search the internet for OIL sites, or oil filter sites