hydro 84

/ hydro 84 #1  

Tuinstra Farm

Tractor
John Deere
my inlaws have a hydro 2nd (owner) apx 6,000hr with hydro problems which im noticing is verry common. it has been getting weeker where he can't use reverse in high range or get a hay rack started in high. we were loading scrap machinery and now its dead in the water. oil is good. let it run thinking it got moisture and froze by letting it thaw and it started working again for about 5 min and stoped again. loader works great though. moved scrap to tractor with skidloader and lifted scrap with tractor loader and backed trailer underneath. moved tractor with bucket and started working again. this happened 2 mor times getting back to shop and hasn't worked since. has anyone any ideas?

valves were replaced along time ago would this maybe the problem again?
or is there a problem with the inching pedal?
being loder has good as ever lifting power the pump should be fine correct?

Also he wants to know if a 544 gas has the same hydro guts as his 84

Im not much help to him as i am JOHN DEERE man myself, makes for quite the family discussions!!

Last edited:
   / hydro 84 #2  
I'm no expert, but I believe the loader runs on its own pump and really doesn't have much to do with the Hydro drive.

Have you checked the linkages to see if they are moving properly. I belive they have spring returns and movements. On my IH3616 TLB it is starting to get a little sticky and when I push on the pedal it doesn't go, but that is just because the spring connection is not enough to pull the arm to make it go. If I hold the pedal down it will slowly start going. This doesn't sound like your problem, but thought I would throw it out there just in case.

Does it make any noise or change when you push the pedal?

When you move it with the loader, did you put it in N or just push it around with the loader. It might identify your problem more if you can push it around without much resistance when in gear and running. Hydros don't like to roll or be towed especially when running.

/ hydro 84
did check linkages and seemed fine. when push pedal is felt normal.

never thought about the resistance of the hydro but is verry true. thinking back there was no resistance it moved freely with the loader as if the clutch (inch pedal) was pushed in. when pushed around with loader it was in low gear and hydro in reverse and clutch was out. soon as we pushed with bucket started moving but not with full power. when it was in low range could move the tracor around but felt weak, when in high range wouldn't budge in reverse and in forward it tried but would bearly move. it never gave any warning signs before this, it just quit and was dead in the water. waited until we had a couple of warmer days and tryed to prove out the water freezing up and even with the loader couldn't get it to even try now. had to push tractor back in the shop.

he did say that it used to do about 18-20 mph and only about 12-15 now. so seems like was getting week but doesn't explain why it just went up and quit so suddenly.

far as sound goes, no noises that was noticed when dead in water or when actually got it moving temporarilly. seemed fine.

he dosen't use the tracor much last two years since he got the skidloaer to do loader work and feeding of hay. but pulls hay racks and small tractor work in the summer. so not a major loss now but needs to get fixed by spring work.

/ hydro 84 #4  
I own a Hydro 84 and came across some exceptional information on a site called Red Power Magazine Check out their forums. This thread may help a bit. It's been a while since I have read this and I could not find it in a quick search but I recall reading that if a hydro will move in one direction then the hydro is not bad. Could be a bad seal or something of that nature (I just inherited mine so I am quite ignorant on how these things function).

Here is the thread. You may also want to register and get in touch with someone who posts there whose name is alex uk. He seems to be exceedingly knowledgeable, especially regarding the hydro 84.

Hope this helps!

Darned Hydro! - Red Power Magazine Community

/ hydro 84 #5  
If it made a difference to allow it to run so the moisture would melt that is in the oil so the tractor would move then the damage is already done. While the tractor was sitting there idling would be enough time to ruin the pump!

/ hydro 84
thanks i will check into the red power magizine, but not tonight..
it may have taken the hydro pump out from idling will have to check into that. never thought about that as loader was still working fine. if only it was a JD i would have known what was going on! that darn red stuff. I can complain as i now own a red tractor myself. i've always said cant complain about anything unless you have or had one.

/ hydro 84 #7  
Red machines are ment to be depended upon. Get rid of that roughten, stinky skid loader and go back to using the real machine to get the job done! The tractor feels kind of like the horse that used to pull the milk wagon around, just not loved any more and it knows it. Red machines have souls unlike Green machines. (I can say this as I own both, long live RED!!)

(You know this is really tongue in check I hope )