Case 385 Starting problem

/ Case 385 Starting problem #1  

Kindasecluded

Tractor
Case/IH 385, MF 135, Zetor 5245
I currently reside on my uncles farm and have kinda been handed all the mechanical work (yay me). Any rate I have a bit of a bit of an issue trying to start his Case. I've tested the starter and it seems to works well. Checked all battery connections they're all good. Now I wanna look at the key switch. It looks like it has a run position, start position and an off position. What I'm wondering is if someone can confirm that for me and possibly be able to tell me what wire is what. Your time is much appreciated.

/ Case 385 Starting problem #2  
I believe those tractors had a switch on the clutch petal.

/ Case 385 Starting problem
Yes it does. It works fine. Guess i should have post this part earlier. Whats happening is, we tried to start it last week and it rolled over like a champ. Battery got light (probably had to do with it being a bit cold) so we put a charger on it. The next time we went to try it, turned the key on (I believe a run position) and the dumby lights came on and I pushed the clutch. As soon as I did that it sounded like the starter quickly kicked out and everything went dead.

/ Case 385 Starting problem #4  
You had a major fault show. It goes back to the large cables!!!! Check you ground on both ends!

Ok thanks for your suggestion Art. I rechecked all leads and everything looked ok. I cleaned everything up just in case. As i went to put things back together I wedged the positive battery terminal between the battery and the enclosure. All of a sudden I got a lot of slack in the cable as I reattached it to the starter. When I went to see why the cable moved I found that the terminal end had come off the cable. Upon looking at it someone prior had tried to solder the end on and only got a bugger solder job done. I had another cable (maybe not as heavy guage) on hand, and first shot it fired up. Thanks for your time and someone to bounce ideas off of.

Ok Art my next question pertains to no lights. When I turn the key on without the clutch pushed and the idiot lights come on I can get the flasher to go. Push the clutch and she fires. But I actually have to shut the key of or the starter kicks in when selecting gears/ranges. Could that key switch be stuck closed loop on the start position??? I would like to get this fixed for my uncle but not neccesary. Thanks again